Sunday 17 November 2019

Pudding fun!

This morning, Keith and I popped over to Mum and Dad's for coffee, while Sophie went to collect Laura, as they were both going to see our local rugby team, Northampton Saints, play Lyons. It was the first time Sophie had been to a rugby match and she was really looking forward to it.

We had a chat over coffee with Mum and Dad and then we left to go home and tackle some jobs. I wanted to rake all the leaves up in the back garden and I'd planned on using our leaf blower to suck them all up and shred them so I could put them on the borders for the winter.

However, I don't know whether it was because the leaves were too wet, but the leaf blower went into meltdown and refused to work. There was also a burning smell coming from inside so I hurriedly turned it off and just used the rake instead!

I felt a bit dejected about the machine so after making sure most of the leaves were off the grass I went back inside and we turned on the rugby in a vain attempt to see Sophie and Laura. I looked out for Soph's terracotta coloured coat, not knowing she had worn her black one instead!

Dinner tonight was steak and kidney pudding so Keith cooked the meat and kidneys and left them in the slow cooker for an hour and a half. After the rugby we went back into the kitchen and I made the suet pastry. Once it was all rolled out, I lined the pudding dish and we piled the meat and offal into the casing. With the top on and covered in foil we at first tried to put it into the slow cooker, but it wouldn't fit! I lifted it out by the handle we had made and nearly dropped it as the foil came off! There were a few swear words exchanged but finally we put the pudding into a large saucepan, poured boiling water up two thirds of the way and covered it tightly with the lid and more foil. We had to experiment with our gas rings, finally choosing the smallest to let it simmer away...which is did for three hours.

Sophie returned from dropping off Laura and had had a great time, enjoying a meal at The Fox and Hounds in Harlestone after the match, which Northampton won!

Dinner was delicious and it turned out very well, thank goodness!


No comments: