Tuesday 27 November 2018

Running on empty!

I was back at work today and it was a horrible, foggy morning. I had taken Sophie's car this morning as she was going out with friends in the evening and the plan was to pick her up from work and take her into town, to Alice's flat.

Her car was low on petrol but I had to rush home when I finished work and go to the doctor's surgery with Keith as he was having a Doppler test on his legs to measure the blood flow. We were there for ages and didn't get out until 4.30pm. At least it gave me a chance to have a good read of all the home and garden magazines and drool over some of the houses in Country Life! The good thing was that the test was good and there's no problem with his veins, which was great news!

We left the surgery and headed into town despite a queue up ahead in the roadworks. I really didn't fancy turning around and going back to Moulton, but I wish I had now as the traffic held us up and we were still in town at 5.15pm, later than when Sophie finished work. It was then that I noticed the fuel gauge had gone from showing 30 miles to empty to zero, so panicking slightly, I decided to go to a nearby Morrison's and get some petrol. Every time we stopped at a set of traffic lights I turned the engine off as I was dreading running out of fuel!

We finally made it and I filled the car up and we set off onto the gridlocked roads once again. It was as if someone had said a meteor was going to hit Northampton and there was a mass exodus taking place! Was this really normal rush hour traffic?

We finally got to Sophie for 5.45pm and sped off into town, depositing her at just after 6pm. It was then time to go home, grab a quick bite to eat (well, Keith did) and then I took him to the football ground as Sileby were playing. We thought it was better for me to pick him up after the game finished and head back into town to pick Sophie up.

I returned home, had a non-alcoholic lager (tonight I did really want a G&T) and made myself some toast before sitting down to watch a programme about a couple running a hill farm in Yorkshire with nine children and loads of sheep!

I went back out at 9.30pm, picked Keith up and we headed to sleazy Bridge Street where Sophie was enjoying cocktails at a bar with Alice. We waited a little while for her and I was mesmerised by the seedy looking people hanging about. Not the sort of place I would want to visit!

Sophie was a bit merry when she emerged with Alice and kept us entertained for the whole journey home. I wonder what her head will feel like in the morning!

No comments: