Thursday 4 October 2018

Traffic nightmares!

It was horrible, misty and grey this morning and the traffic on the way to work was heavy, with a kind of panic about the way people were driving. I listen to the traffic news on the way in and an accident was mentioned in Moulton which is near to my route. As soon as I got to work I texted Sophie to warn her about the amount of vehicles on the road and I later found out that her and Keith had had a nightmare journey in because of problems everywhere. It set the tone for the day...

Keith took Sophie in as she was going out this evening with her friend Alice who she had met at university. Alice had been on a placement and had returned to Northampton to do her final year at the brand new campus.

Work was OK, but it was busier than Wednesday and people kept annoying me! When I finished at 3pm I went to the post office in the Weston Favell Centre and sent out some items we'd sold on eBay. I then bought ink for the printer and put some petrol in Sophie's car as I'd been using it all week.

It had turned out to be a gorgeous afternoon but I just wanted to get home! I met all the school run traffic so that annoyed me even further! I arrived back at 4pm, just minutes before Keith and I went out again to take Mike to Brixworth and to go and get Sophie and take her into town to meet Alice.

Because the traffic was heavy we were late so when we left, the roads around Sophie's office were gridlocked. I decided (in a moment of madness) to go away from the town to avoid the queues, but we still got stuck near the village of Brafield-on-the Green, which maddened Sophie!

We eventually arrived at Alice's flat at about 5.45pm and headed home. However, we decided to head through Moulton to avoid a problem on the A43 and half way home we discovered the road had been closed, for no apparent reason! We had to double back and go through Overstone because of the problems on the A43. It was a nightmare! We eventually arrived home over two hours later than when we'd started out and we were in no mood to cook liver and bacon which is what we'd planned for tonight!

We had a drink and relaxed for half an hour before eating a corned beef and potato pie that Keith had made earlier in the day. Mike arrived home with Georgia and I don't know whether they were expecting to have dinner with us, but they were disappointed! I felt a bit guilty afterwards but we're going to have to speak to Mike about springing guests on us, especially after such a busy day (and week!).

We went back out to get Sophie at 10.30pm and picked her up in the middle of town. They'd had dinner and been to a Comedy night at a local club that was full of Freshers! I think it's made her even more nostalgic for uni life!





No comments: