Saturday 20 October 2018

Endless summer?

It's been another beautiful day today with highs in the afternoon of 17c! Our summer is just going on and on!

Sophie went to the gym this morning and Mike called me just after she left to ask if I could pick him up from Moulton. He'd been to town last night and had stayed over at a friend's house. I duly went off to get him, leaving Keith to sort out our headboard on our bed. I'd tried to move it out the other day to hoover behind it and I'd split one of the wooden prongs that holds it in place.

I met Mike at the newsagent in Moulton and we headed home. Just as I rounded a bend going out of the village, a woman jogger ran straight out into the road in front of me! It was a good job I wasn't going too fast and I slammed my brakes on. The woman, in absolute shock, at first just stopped dead in front of me before running on! I was astounded! She obviously hadn't heard me coming around the corner as she'd had headphones on! To say Mike and I were shocked was an understatement and it just brings home to me how dangerous it can to run without being able to hear approaching traffic.

At lunchtime Sophie and I headed over to Farndon Fields and had lunch at the farm shop's restaurant. Predictably, it was very busy and we had to queue for quite some time before we were seated at a sunny window table. I chose a jacket potato with coronation chicken while Sophie went for her usual chicken and bacon sandwich served with french fries.

It was a delicious lunch and it was lovely to sit in the sun and contemplate a shopping trip to Market Harborough. After we'd eaten we wandered around the outside of the farm shop and I couldn't believe how many pumpkins they had for sale!


Squashes

Not sure what this was meant to be? A grinning face?

I love the Ghost pumpkins!
 They also had a Christmas display going on which I thought was a bit early! It reminded me very much of Beckworth!

We left to go to Market Harborough and had a mooch about the shops, taking in Waterstones where we looked for an Asian cookery book. We still hadn't decided what to do on Sunday night and had thought about preparing a Ramen soup but we couldn't find anything that was suitable. I bought a bottle of dry Vermouth in Tesco as we planned on having Vodka Martinis tonight as a treat before dinner! The shops were very busy so after an hour we decided to head for home and went the scenic route.

Back home we walked Monty around the estate and went to see the horses, but as we hadn't got any food with us, they showed no interest whatsoever! When we got home I made a Vodka Martini for Sophie and a Gin version for myself. I preferred mine as the Vodka cocktail seemed much, much stronger and I think I prefer my drinks a bit sweeter!

Dinner tonight was a delicious beef casserole served with dumplings for Keith and I and giant Yorkshire puddings for the children. I had an early-ish night - work for me tomorrow!


No comments: