Sunday 28 October 2018

A blast from the past!

Our clocks went back last night so I was looking forward to an extra hour in bed but I was wide awake at 5am! I tried to go back to sleep but at 5.30am I got up, made myself a cup of coffee and watched Grand Designs. Mike had gone out after all last night and at 5.50am he arrived home, looking a bit tipsy! I'm just glad he got a taxi back!

At 7am two women riding horses went past the house and woke Sophie up so she was, quite rightly, furious! Why they feel the need to walk around our estate I'll never know! She went off to the gym at 9.30am and Keith and I went to get the papers. I was going to wash the car or tidy up the front garden but it was really cold. The forecasters said we'd get a shock this weekend!

At 2pm Sophie and I went to pick up my Mum as we were going to Castle Ashby for a cup of tea and some cake. Today has been beautiful with clear blue skies and plenty of sunshine which is just how I like it! It is almost winter after all!

We parked the car and headed for The Buttery where we sat down and looked at the menu. I was hoping for more of a choice with the food on offer but I settled for a lemon and elderflower cake while Sophie chose a banana version. Unfortunately, this wasn't available so that made her a bit angry! Mum chose a fruit scone with jam and cream and we all decided on big pots of tea to go with the food.

Our experience in the teashop wasn't a brilliant one, I have to say. The level of noise was incredible for such a small place and my cake was dry and too sweet. Oh dear! I don't think we'll bother going back any time soon!

After we'd eaten we went to have a look in the shops and came across a lovely place called The Little Geranium. The woman behind the till greeted us and then she looked curiously at my Mum and said, "I think I know you!" It turned out she was an old friend and they hadn't seen each other for years so we spent about half an hour having a catch-up, which was great!

At the time was getting on we had a look around another couple of shops and then returned to the car. The sun was just setting and we took a couple of photos. This one is of the corner of Castle Ashby house itself:



Before heading home we went to Whites Nursery and bought two pumpkins - a ghost one and a normal orange one. Sophie immediately named them Jeff and Caroline!

Back home we enjoyed whisky and ginger ale to drink (Sophie is too much like me!) and Keith cooked dinner, the chicken in pastry we should have had last night. Georgia came to stay the night later in the evening as her and Mike are off to Doncaster tomorrow to see her grandparents. I'm just hoping for a longer lie-in!

No comments: