Monday 22 October 2018

Difficult conversations.

It's half-term this week and we were very busy at work with almost non-stop phone calls from people booking their children onto the holiday activities and asking about swimming times. I would say a good 25% of our phone calls are about things that can be found out from our website so it can be a bit annoying to endlessly repeat our swimming timetables and opening times. I know I would rather look at a website that hang on the phone for a while! Obviously, there are some things that must be booked with us, such as the holiday club and activities, but I find it amazing how late some people leave it to book and then get annoyed when they can't get their children into a class!

I think I had the hardest phone call of this job today, though, when I took a call from a Romanian man who wanted to sign his daughter and her cousin up to be members. The process takes quite a while for one member, let alone three as he wanted to take out a second membership for his daughter so she could do two weekly clubs! I was on the phone for over half an hour and was nearly crying with frustration at the end as his accent was very heavy and I found it hard to hear him!

It was utter bliss to escape at 2pm and go and wait for Mike at the golf club. Unfortunately, the lovely half hour wait (in which I read Liane Moriarty's latest novel) will come to an end after this week as Mike has fallen out with his boss and is giving a week's notice. He hasn't got anything else lined up so Keith and I are a bit worried, especially as he has just taken out a phone contract for two years.

On the way home we popped to the post office in Brixworth to send out some parcels and then it was home to catch up with chores and check my online tax code as I believe I'm paying too much tax!

Sophie arrived home early from work and we walked Monty around the estate twice. It felt a lot chillier despite the sunny weather. It's set to get much colder at the end of this week as we get a blast of icy winds from the north!

No comments: