Wednesday 8 March 2017

I wish I was in La La Land!

Today was very busy at the Citizens Advice Bureau and we had some difficult clients coming in as well, which added to the stress levels! I arrived early and set up and Frank came in just after me. Priya had taken today off so Hadeer came in to cover her. We had the usual rush of clients before 9.30am and as well as our usual reception duties, we also had to call clients who had booked appointments with our pro-bono solicitor in the evening.

The morning whizzed past and we had to turn away quite a few people as it neared lunchtime as we were so busy. Hadeer returned to the other office at 1pm and we had another adviser, Ann, come over to cover. She seemed very flustered and unsure of what to do but I made sure that Gill showed her the ropes and for the rest of the afternoon they coped well with the post-lunchtime rush.

I left a little early as this evening Mum, Sophie and I were off to the Errol Flynn cinema in Derngate to see La La Land. I picked my Mum up at 4.45pm which, on reflection, was far too early but I was worried about the traffic and getting parked. I needn't have worried as we were inside Derngate by 5.30pm so we decided to have a glass of wine in the pub next door called John Franklin's. I have a feeling this was formerly Bar Hygge, somewhere I wanted to go to this year, as I can't believe there are two, very similar, bars within such a short distance from the theatre.

We enjoyed our glass of wine and then we made it over to the Errol Flynn, which is attached to the side of Derngate. It only has 100 seats but what seats they are! Very comfortable with little tables on the arms for you to put your drinks. Sophie bought a bottle of Pinot Grigio and they gave us an ice bucket to take in with three proper glasses! Lovely!

There were no endless trailers of adverts and the film came on promptly. I have to be honest and say I wasn't really looking forward to La La Land as there had been so much hype and I'm not keen on musicals, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie from start to finish and it's definitely what I would call a "feel good" film. Overall, it was a lovely experience and I will definitely book to see a film here again!

We went to Pizza Express after the film as I had a 25% voucher off food (!) and we had a very pleasant meal of dough balls and garlic bread to start followed by pizzas. Sophie and I shared a cheesecake for dessert while Mum tucked into a chocolate brownie with ice-cream. We drank a bottle of sparkling water and saved almost £14 on the bill, which was great.

Unfortunately, we chose the worst moment to leave as our departure coincided with an exodus from the Derngate so it was a real scrum to get through the, very well-heeled and genteel, crowd (I think they had been to see La Boheme). However, we managed to get out of the car-park pretty quickly considering the amount of people leaving so it wasn't all bad!

No comments: