Monday 28 November 2016

Work experience...

All this week Mike is doing work experience at a recruitment company in Northampton. It means he has to be there for 9am and won't be able to leave until 5pm. It's a bit of a pain, to be honest, as it means a much longer travel time in the morning and going into town in the rush hour (and coming out at night) is no fun!

We dropped him off this morning and he had to find out where the office was by himself. We had suggested he call last week to get all the details but he'd ignored our advice so we dropped him off at the complex of offices where the company was and wished him luck!

We returned home for breakfast and then got ready to take Sophie to uni at 12pm. She was only in for an hour and a half so we dropped her off and went to Aldi to buy dinner for Tuesday night. I then treated Keith to tea and scones in Waitrose to kill the rest of the time. I queued for ages in there and when I eventually returned to the table with our lunch an elderly lady came over (wife of the man who was waiting in the queue behind me) to ask me if I could show her how to access her text messages! I managed to find out where they were stored and showed her how to get to them. She was really grateful, bless her!

After collecting Sophie we headed to the bank as she wanted to transfer some money between her accounts. She is in the middle of arranging a group visit to a basketball game in New York in February when she is there again with uni and had asked everyone who wanted to go to pay her upfront. I was reluctant to let her organise it as I was worried people wouldn't pay, but she was very strict about the other students giving her the money on Friday so I just hope she's not disappointed!

After the bank we decided to treat Sophie to a late McDonald's lunch and went to the restaurant on Riverside. It's been absolutely glorious day with clear blue skies and bright sunlight. Lovely to see but not so great to drive in!

After eating we visited Homebase to look at paint samples and we had a mooch about their Christmas display which was of the "Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" way of doing things. The whole area looked really cheap and messy and I certainly wasn't tempted to buy anything!

I bought a paint sample from Dulux and we briefly looked at lamps for the landing. Sophie said she didn't like the table we have in the space but I like having some furniture there and the drawer is always useful for storage!

We also had a look around in Next (very elegant and classy decorations) and Boots before heading back into town to get Mike. As we were a bit early we had a quick drink in The Abington pub - a bit naughty but it was either that or sit in a cold car! Being in the puy brought back lots of memories for Keith and I as we used to go here a lot when we worked together almost 30 years ago! In fact, on our first date we met outside the pub so it was nice to go back in. I'm not sure I'd rush back though!



No comments: