Friday 4 November 2016

Such a busy day!

Today, like this week, has flown by and it's been a real busy one!

Mike didn't go to college today as he felt ill with his cold so we left him at home, took Sophie to uni and called into the butcher's at Brixworth to buy the sausages. It rained heavily while we were driving which wasn't good news for tonight as the fireworks take place in a muddy field!

After buying the sausages we headed over to see Mum and Dad for a cup of coffee and to catch up with their news as I hadn't seen them since last weekend. They were both fine and were amazed to hear our news and how busy we've all been over the last week.

From there we drove to Kettering and I bought the ingredients for my meal on Saturday night, plus some wine. I bought my fireworks in Tesco, along with sparklers and some firelighters. Keith has very kindly offered to deal with the fireworks for me, which is a relief. At the top of the list of do's and don't's that came with the bangers was "Don't drink alcohol before lighting the fireworks"!

We headed home and I made the butternut squash soup (a lot of chopping, peeling and slicing!) and my chocolate bread and butter pudding. Keith and I tried the soup and it was lovely, with a hint of spice and sweetness. I will chill it overnight and re-heat tomorrow before adding a dollop of cream and croutons.

We collected Sophie from uni and drove home to get ready for the bonfire night. Keith was off to the pub and Mike was late getting ready so just Sophie and I walked up in the dark. It was very eerie! When we arrived at the field we both had a drink - a mulled wine for me and a lager for Sophie. The bonfire was lit at about 6.30pm and it gave off some very welcome heat. Tonight is much colder than it has been recently. I definitely think summer and the mild Autumn are distant memories!

Mike joined us and I bought him a beefburger and then the fireworks started. Some of them were really beautiful and some were very loud! A lot of people had come out to see the display and we chatted to Paul and Sue who were helping out with drinks and food. There was a lovely atmosphere.

All too soon, the display was over and we walked home with the crowds through the village and back home. Keith had returned from the pub and dinner was almost ready. Bliss!

No comments: