Wednesday 16 November 2016

A somewhat trying day!

It was the full moon (a super moon!) the other evening - Monday, I think - and you know what they say about what happens to people when there's a full moon...I think we had most of them in at the CAB today!

It was definitely "one of those days" with heavy traffic on the way into Northampton and some very dodgy people coming in for advice. I was so glad that Frank was working with me today! Gill was on holiday so Bill came in to work with Priya and he was a very experienced advisor, thank goodness!

Two men came in during the morning with some convoluted, confusing tale and one of them returned in the afternoon with some more of his mates looking to get food bank vouchers. They were from one of our Eastern European neighbours and really didn't qualify for the vouchers as they weren't claiming benefits, but although friendly, I'm not sure how they would have reacted if we'd said no to them. Again, I was so glad that Frank was with me!

Despite the interesting mix of people (and smells!) we were quieter than normal and Frank suggested I go early as I was heading off to the library to do some research on my family tree. I'd been really looking forward to spending a couple of hours in the quiet and finding out some information, but it was not to be... The man I spoke to last week seemed delighted to see me again and I have a feeling he thought I was a complete novice at genealogy! He set me up on a computer but rather than leave me on my own to get on with things he sat right next to me which was a bit unsettling!

I was researching a branch of my family who were blacksmiths in the Kent village of Ightham and I was hoping I'd be able to get a definite marriage date for one of them. However, I found that the library didn't have access to the Family Search parish records for this village so me being there was a bit of a waste of time. In fact, I didn't find out anything useful at all and although I knew the member of staff was trying to be helpful, I found it very irritating and he confused me even more!

I was so disappointed at the way things had turned out and left much earlier than I'd intended which meant that I was able to collect Mike from college rather than ask Keith to go out. We drove home in very heavy traffic and it was lovely to finally get home and sit and relax!

No comments: