Wednesday 9 November 2016

Birthday celebrations!

Frank was back at the CAB today so that meant I had some support in the office, which was great. I was in early as I'd taken Sophie to uni on the way. It's my Mum's birthday today so before starting work I had a coffee at Caffe Nero and called her to wish her a happy birthday.

As forecast, it was raining today, the first time that it's rained since I began working at the CAB since July! Predictably, we had a quiet day and Frank was surprised at all the changes that had taken place since he'd been away. I don't know whether the rain and cold temperatures put people off but it was very steady and we didn't have to turn anyone away at all, which was a relief after last week!

Gill was away today, though, but we had Hadeer in to cover and she very kindly bought us a box of biscuits to eat with our afternoon tea! That's more like it! Penny came over at 2.30pm to "observe" me and luckily we had one last client come in to see us so she was able to see me in action! She gave me a self-assessment form to complete and that was it. My training is over!

After work I called into M&S to buy my Mum a small birthday cake and to pick up a Christmas pudding I'd reserved through the Daily Mail points system. It was worth £8 and served four people but I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I saw it...it was tiny! Still, it was free! Luckily only Keith, Mum, Dad and me will be eating it on Christmas Day and I'll probably make a chocolate bread and butter pudding for Sophie and Mike.

From M&S I went to the library as I discovered I can use their computers for free to look up Parish records for my family history hobby. I spoke to a very kind man who gave me a lot of advice and tips so next week, as Sophie won't be at uni on the Wednesday, I'll go in and see if I can access some records. The only other alternative is to go to the library in Maidstone in Kent (a long way away!) or to go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints like I did last time.

I met Sophie who had been having lunch in town and we walked back to the car to go home. The traffic was horrendous and there'd been some sort of incident at the large Carlsberg brewery in town which was causing problems on the road. We arrived home at almost 5pm and I started on making an apple crumble for dinner. Keith had very kindly prepared the Coq au Vin for the main course and while I was doing dessert, Sophie set the table for me. This meant that we were able to sit and relax with a glass of wine for an hour before my parents arrived at 7pm.

The dinner went very well but half way through, one of our heart candle holders fell and hit me on the head before scattering melted wax everywhere...my Dad ended up with some on his face and it went all over the glasses and plates and onto Mike's new tracksuit bottoms! It was a bit of a shock and my head hurt where it had hit me! The next thing was that Mike knocked over a vase full of flowers and which I'd only just topped up with water so that had to be cleared up!

The apple crumble also went down very well, especially as the apples were from one of the gardens I look after with Sue. Fruit for free!

No comments: