Saturday 19 November 2016

Calamity Jane!

Today started off bright and sunny but by the afternoon, the cloud had thickened and it was distinctly dreary and grey.

We took Sophie to work and I had to then go and buy some sort of outfit for this evening's Come Dine With Me at the fancy dress shop in Northampton. A bit late, I know! The theme is American Icon or Thanksgiving and I'd decided to go as a cowboy. I bought a cowboy hat, some spurs and a neck-tie and will team this with my jeans and a denim shirt. We also went to look for the place where Mike is doing work experience in a couple of weeks time and we eventually found it after the third time of driving up and down the Wellingborough road!

I spent the morning catching up with things I needed to do, such as provide our advanced passenger information for our flight to Berlin in December. This is getting very close and we'll be able to check in online this afternoon!

Although the weather was a bit of a disappointment, I still ventured out into the garden in the afternoon and swept up all the leaves. I knew full well that the area I'd cleared would be covered again but I felt I needed to get out and get some moderate exercise and fresh air, ahead of tonight's meal and wine drinking! I raked up loads and loads of leaves from under the bushes and in the road and almost filled our garden waste wheelie bin. It was lovely to be out and very sociable as I spoke briefly to Richard and Michelle and waved at various other neighbours.

I did contemplate washing the car but decided not to, which was a good decision! After Keith had gone to the football I did a stack of ironing and then settled down to watch some recorded programmes, which was lovely and just what I wanted to do!

Sophie was late out of work this evening as they had been very busy and we went over to Brixworth to collect Mikey first. He said he was tired and needed a shower and I was glad to have him home. As soon as we arrived back after picking up Sophie I dressed in my cowboy outfit and decided to put my hair into two bunches as I looked better. Keith suggested I go as Calamity Jane!

He drove me to Andrea's and we arrived at the same time as Lynda and Fiona. Fiona looked amazing as Marilyn Monroe while Lynda had wrapped the American flag around herself and sported the Statue of Liberty's headdress. They both looked wonderful!


Andrea was also dressed as the Statue of Liberty and wore a beautiful pale blue dress.


We started off with mulled wine and nibbles and then moved over to the dinner table for tomato and  brandy soup served with Andrea's homemade sunblush tomato and chilli bread. Our main course was a Thanksgiving meal of turkey with home-made stuffing, parmesan mash, sweet potato mash, red cabbage, carrots, green beans and brussels sprouts served with bacon. Andrea had even made her own cranberry sauce! It was delicious and very filling.

Lynda, unfortunately, felt ill during the meal and had to go and stand outside in the cold night air to cool down a bit. She felt a lot better after a while though and managed dessert of chocolate and pecan pie served with ice-cream. None of us could manage cheese and biscuits and by 11.30pm we were all ready to go home. As Lynda hadn't drunk anything except water and the small glass of mulled wine she drove Fiona home.

Keith and Sophie came to collect me and by now it was pouring with rain! Apparently we are experiencing the first of the winter storms - Angus!

No comments: