Saturday 12 November 2016

A bad reaction...

Mum and I went to see my Dad this afternoon in hospital and we warned before we went into his room that he had had a bad reaction to the painkillers and was a bit confused. We had a real shock when we saw him as he was completely out of it although, thankfully, he did at least know who we were.

It was horrible to see him like that as he seemed to be hallucinating - he kep staring at the corner of the room and mumbling to himself about something. He was very difficult to understand and kept dozing off. My Mum, naturally, was very worried about him and she was terrified that it would be permanent even though the nurse assured us it was just a temporary bad reaction to the opiate-based painkiller.

We spent two hours with him but he didn't seem to get any better while we were there and the nurse told us that he'd had the last dose of painkiller at lunchtime which is when they realised that maybe giving it to him wasn't the best idea! It was supposed to take about twelve hours for it to wear off so hopefully when we go and visit tomorrow he should be a lot better. He was supposed to be coming out on Sunday but that has been moved to Monday morning so that was disappointing for my Mum who was looking forward to having him back on Sunday afternoon.

We left and went home and I tried to get my Mum not to worry about how he was. At my house things were a bit up and down as the gas engineer was in and working on the central heating and there was a long tube running down the stairs where he was draining water out of the system. He never managed to get around to servicing the boiler but at least the water leak has been finally fixed.

Before we had dinner Sophie and I watched a lovely documentary on China and I was able to relax for an hour. I just hope my Dad is back to his normal self tomorrow!

No comments: