Saturday 5 November 2016

Come Dine With Me!

Today has been long and hard, but very enjoyable!

After taking Sophie to work this morning and having some breakfast, I started preparing my meal for tonight by baking a loaf of wholemeal bread. While it was rising in the airing cupboard, I made the sausage casserole and let it cool down before storing it in the fridge. I then prepared all the vegetables - I've never done so much chopping, peeling and slicing in my life!

The bread turned out lovely, even though Keith said it resembled a lump of elephant poo! Charming! The afternoon was spent laying the table and cleaning the downstairs of the house. Keith and Mike were both out so it was very peaceful! I managed to have a lovely relaxing bath and then it was time to collect Sophie from work and put the finishing touches to my preparations. I found a video on YouTube with a crackling fire and ran that all evening to give "atmosphere" while outside we lit the log I'd bought ages ago, in the summer, and never used.

I put little tea-lights in all the candle holders and Sophie said the conservatory looked gorgeous. As the theme tonight was "Bonfire Night" I didn't dress up but when Andrea and Fiona arrived they'd both decided to wear fancy dress! Andrea was dressed as a fireman and carried an inflatable fire extinguisher while Fiona came as a sparkler!


The evening went very well and I think the food was liked by everyone! I know Keith enjoyed my bread despite his previous comment! We started with a Spiced Butternut Squash soup served with the bread and croutons. I was so glad I'd decided to buy my sausages in Chamber's as they were delicious and we could really taste the difference!

After the main course Keith lit the fireworks - he'd set them up earlier in the day - and Mike went out to help him. I decided we'd watch them from indoors as it was freezing cold and also we weren't far enough away to watch them safely outside. I did not want any accidents! The display was great and perfect for the garden with some very pretty fountains and quite a few bangs!

After they were over we went into the garden with the sparklers and waved them about but it really was a very cold night! I'd had the idea of sitting around the log and toasting marshmallows but decided against it when I saw the forecast!

Once we were back indoors we enjoyed the chocolate bread and butter pudding and then it was lovely to just relax over glasses of wine and chat. The girls called a taxi and left at about midnight so that was great and not too late. I was shattered and was definitely ready for my bed!

No comments: