Saturday 8 October 2016

It all ends well!

Sophie really didn't want to go into work today and it made matters worse when we arrived and Maureen's car wasn't in the car park...our fears were confirmed when Sophie called us as we drove home to say that she had called in sick which meant that Sophie was cooking alone.

I was really worried about her as I know what it's like on a Saturday in October, and no doubt they were fully booked with parties. It also started raining mid-morning, which I wasn't expecting, so I was even more worried that she'd been left to cope alone.

To cheer her up when she finished work I made a chocolate bread and butter pudding, but realised I didn't have enough cream! Keith and I had to trek out to Broughton to get it and the weather was appalling. I sent a text to Sophie and she replied by saying that another member of staff had been sent to help out and luckily it was someone who could cook!

Keith and Mike went out in afternoon - Keith to see another local football team play and Mike to a friend's house. I painted our en-suite bathroom door, a chore I'd been putting off for quite a while, but as we needed to put up our new hooks (J&K) it propelled me to do it!

When we collected Sophie from work she was in a better mood than I expected and we had a lovely evening to make up for her stressful day. I'd practised the meal I'm planning on doing for this year's Come Dine With Me, a sausage and caramelised red onion casserole. As soon as we got in from picking Sophie up I started making it as it needed a fair amount of preparation. Sophie kept me company in the kitchen and we opened a bottle of Californian red to drink while we cooked.

After dinner we enjoyed the delicious chocolate bread and butter pudding and watched an old film, Cliffhanger, starring Sylvester Stallone. A lovely end to a somewhat trying day!

No comments: