Tuesday 4 October 2016

Absolutely seething!

We took Sophie to uni at 10am this morning and then I dropped Keith off at Pitsford so he could go for a walk. I drove on to Mum's as she had asked me to go around and help her with some computer stuff.

It's been another beautiful day today with plenty of sunshine and clear skies. I keep forgetting it's October as it feels more like early September! Mum made us a coffee and I helped her with her Microsoft account and various other little niggles. I was with her until 1pm and then it was off home for a quick sandwich before we took Mike over to Brixworth. I suppose we should have made him wait an hour as we had to go back and pick Sophie up at 3pm but he had made arrangements with his friends to meet. I thought that Monday and Tuesday were his study days?!

Sophie had a doctor's appointment at 3.30pm so we just had time to make it after picking her up. I met an old friend in the waiting room and we had a chat about old times. She was married to Keith's mate Dave who he sees in the pub on a Friday night so we caught up with our news and what some of our old friends have been up to. She couldn't believe how much Sophie had grown!

Driving home after the doctor's was lovely as the weather was really beautiful and we decided to sit in the garden with the cat. Although the breeze was a little chilly, when the sun was full on us it was gorgeous.

Keith went to pick Mike up from Brixworth at 6.30pm and I started thinking about our dinner of Jerk Chicken Pasta. Mike was an honorary member of the girls' night in club tonight as Keith was out to watch a game of football. Sophie had saved the last drops of Tequila for a cocktail and I was half-way through making it when I realised that the full carton of orange juice we'd bought yesterday had all gone! Sophie was furious and called Mike to ask him to buy some before they came home. He retorted that neither he nor Keith had any money on them so Sophie and I were forced to drive to the One Stop Shop in Mawsley, which was a total pain!

While we were in there, I thought how nice it would be to have a cocktail myself and spotted a half bottle of vodka behind the counter. I then saw a miniature bottle of Tequila and asked Sophie if she'd like it to top up her cocktail. She agreed so I asked the woman serving for both bottles. The woman then demanded to see Sophie's ID as she'd overheard me talking. As Sophie had had no intention of buying alcohol (and neither had I) she didn't have anything on her. I was speechless...I was clearly over 18 but because I'd made the mistake of asking Sophie whether she wanted the Tequila and my daughter (who does NOT look under 18) hadn't got her driving licence with her, the woman refused to sell me the alcohol.

I argued with her and said that I would just take the Vodka, but she still refused. I felt humiliated, especially as there was a long queue of people waiting and hearing every word that was said. I stormed out, absolutely seething with anger that the both of us, perfectly entitled to have a drink, were being denied that right.

Back home Mike had found some money to buy the orange juice so really the whole journey had been a waste of time! I wish he had let us know! We told him and Keith about what happened and my husband was astonished. Needless to say I left feedback on the One Stop's website asking for someone to contact me. I also left a Google review as well, just to make me feel a bit better! I won't ever be using that shop again and from now on I'll take my custom to the Co-ops in Brixworth and Broughton!

How dinner turned out to be OK, I'll never know because I stayed angry for most of the evening! I did calm down a bit later on when Sophie and I watched Sideways and enjoyed the last of the Californian red!

No comments: