Sunday 14 February 2016

Spring is in the air...

Well, maybe not technically as it felt very cold indeed today, but when Mum and I went to Beckworth Emporium in the afternoon there were spring flowers and arrangements everywhere!

Of course, it's Valentine's Day today but it's a day we don't usually celebrate. It didn't stop other people (women) from posting photos of flowers, chocolates and romantically-set dinner tables on Facebook which always makes me slightly suspicious. If they have to brag about it, maybe there's a hint of insecurity about the relationship?!

Anyway, Sophie was at work all day and Mike had gone to see Heather so it was a quiet morning at home. I picked up my Mum at 2pm and we drove the short distance to Beckworth for a slice of cake, a cup of tea and a mooch about. The queue wasn't that bad for the cafe and we were seated inside for a change. It was a shame as today has been as glorious as yesterday was awful and we've enjoyed blue skies and lots of sunshine. We've even been given a weather warning for snow from today until tomorrow lunchtime and I would dearly love to see a proper covering when I wake up tomorrow morning!

After a delicious slice of cake and a lovely pot of tea we had a quick look at the plants outside but I resisted the urge to buy arrangements of daffodils and primroses. They looked very pretty but I knew from experience they wouldn't last very long and I would rather wait until May and go for a riot of colour with my bedding plants.

I did buy two bottles of Prosecco, though, as tonight we were going to have a three course meal to make up for not having an orgy of cards, chocolates and flowers. Sophie sounded a bit stressed when I got home and contacted her on Messenger so I knew she would appreciate a glass or two of bubbly!

Before I went to collect her from work I made a strawberry trifle and prepared a prawn cocktail for Keith and I. The children were going to have pate and toast and for mains we'd decided on steak and potato wedges. I even found a loveheart tablecloth!

Dinner was very good and we ate in three stages. In between courses Sophie and I watched A Place in The Sun: Winter Sun about a very lucky couple buying a holiday home in Costa Rica. They had over £300,000 to spend but were very picky about what they wanted! Some of the properties were stunning with gorgeous ocean and mountain views and I would have been happy with any of them!

After dinner we watched the BAFTAs and we were delighted to see that The Revenant scooped so many awards including Best Film and Best Actor for Leonardo di Caprio! Brilliant!



No comments: