Saturday 20 February 2016

I am a winner!

Today Keith and I tackled the housework as we didn't have to run the children anywhere and we could just get on and do what needed to be done. Sophie had stayed overnight with a friend from uni who drove her into work this morning and Mike had no plans to go anywhere either.

We worked until 2pm and Keith went off in the afternoon to see his local football team play. I had a bath and settled down to watch a DVD that my Mum had lent me and I really missed my beautiful black cat snuggled up beside me. Monty is an affectionate cat but he never sits on our laps like Archie used to.

Keith's football match went into extra time so I left to collect Sophie and on the way I called to get Fiona a bottle of wine and some chocolates as it is the final of our Come Dine With Me tonight. It was supposed to have been held in December and then in January but it had to be postponed three times so tonight was the night with a Parisian (or French) theme.

Back home Sophie did my hair and make-up, bless her, even though she was shattered and dying for a shower. I decided to go as Michelle from "Allo, Allo" so all I needed to do was don a beret and put on normal clothes with my raincoat over the top. We collected Lynda on the way who gave me Birthday presents for myself and Mike!

We were the first to arrive and Fiona looked great as a saucy French maid! Lynda was a garlic seller and also sported a beret and a jaunty black moustache!






It was great to get out and have a laugh and a chat with the girls and when Andrea arrived she looked fabulous as Marcel Marceau!


We were treated to a glass of Kir Royale and then we tucked into a starter of mackerel which Fiona had mixed with peppercorns. Spread on toasted sourdough bread, it was delicious!

Our main course was confit du canard, a leg of duck with lovely crispy skin served with Dauphinois potatoes, green beans and long stemmed broccoli. Fiona's kids wandered in and out all evening as we were seated in the kitchen so that added to the atmosphere!

For dessert we enjoyed a very good apple tart and then it was time to do the scores. Fiona's son Patrick added them all up for us and I was declared the winner which was lovely! I didn't win £1000 but it was great to know that the others had enjoyed my wartime austerity evening back in November.

Keith picked us up at midnight and after dropping Lynda off we returned home and sat and read the paper until well past 1am!


No comments: