Thursday 13 March 2014

Tapas...again!

The fog this morning was very thick as I drove over to the doctor's to have a repeat blood test. I asked why I had to have another one and the Nurse said that my Vitamin D levels were a bit low...it's hardly any wonder after the grey and gloomy winter we've had! On a much better note, though, my blood test results from last week were all normal so that was brilliant. My blood pressure was confirmed as being fine as well so I was very pleased! Hopefully after a weekend spent in the garden soaking up the Spring sunshine my levels might have risen a little.

The fog disappeared by mid-morning and by the afternoon it was beautiful again. After work Keith and I went for a walk and met one of his drinking buddies over the fields, who was walking his two smelly, slobbery dogs (they were very sweet though, and we had cuddles). We had a chat about Cheltenham races as both men were keen on betting on the horses even though Keith was a bit down on his winnings!

When we got back home I had a very indulgent bubble bath and then got ready to go out with Sue to a place a friend of hers had recommended - Good Friends Bistro  - in the gorgeous village of Grafton Underwood near Kettering. It was a good thing that Sue offered to drive as it was way out in the middle of the countryside and was a curious little place, in a large converted cottage.

We first walked into their tiny delicatessen shop and waited to be seated in a small dining area. There were two other tables occupied, one with a couple and another with three men and it was very much like sitting in someone's front room! The menu for the evening was tapas and there were about 12 different dishes to choose from. We chose seven - meatballs, goat's cheese salad, black pudding served with poached pears on bruschetta, Spanish omelette, ham and cheese croquettes, Patatas Bravas and stuffed vine leaves. The food was absolutely delicious and much better than Les Olives last week. It tasted fresher and I suppose that's why they keep the menu choices small.

I had two glasses of red wine and with a sublime dessert of apricots stuffed with mascarpone cheese and pistachios, and two coffees the bill came to a very reasonable £51. We looked at the normal evening menu which is served on Friday and Saturday nights and we'll definitely be back!

No comments: