Thursday 6 March 2014

A Tapas treat

I woke up this morning feeling not the slightest inclination to get up and go to work, so I didn't. My parents took the children into school for us and Keith made an appointment at the doctor's surgery for me for later in the morning. My head felt like it was full of cotton wool and I had a hacking cough that made my head ache.

At the doctor's she said that I had Sinusitis and there was nothing she could do for me, as antibiotics wouldn't help. The only thing I could do was let it run its course.

After I'd seen the doctor we went off to Tesco as Keith had to get something for the children's dinner tonight. We had a celebratory Latte (tea for Keith) in Costa Coffee as today we have been together for 26 years!

The rest of the day was spent doing very little, except coughing and blowing my nose in a vain attempt to clear the blockages in my head! I was going out in the evening with friends to Les Olives, a Tapas restaurant in Northampton, so I had a bath and Sophie did my hair and make-up for me. I really didn't feel like going out but there was no way I could cancel again as the last time we'd planned to go here was when Keith was in hospital.

We picked Lynda up and then drove into Northampton and we found we could pull up right outside the restaurant. Fiona and Andrea were already there and the place was packed with people. There was live music and a flamenco dancer so lots of atmosphere!

A waitress came to take our drinks order but I must have been invisible as she went off without finding out what I wanted and then Lynda's drink went to the next table. Not the best of starts! We finally got ourselves sorted out and had a good look at the menu, choosing three dishes each for our main courses. For starters we had alioli and a broad bean mixture with lots of bread accompanied by a delicious Tempranillo.

For mains we chose a variety of Tapas including slow roast belly of pork, chicken livers, duck, pan fried strips of lamb and spicy chorizo. We also had langoustines, calamari and several vegetarian dishes including a delicious Spanish omelette.

The food was great but I don't think I'm a huge fan of Tapas. I think the dishes are great as snacks for lunch or a couple before dinner, but it was strange having to pick so many different dishes as a main meal. Fiona and I had dessert - almond cake for me, chocolate mousse for her - and then it was an early end to our evening. Keith came for us at 10pm which suited me fine as I really didn't feel like having a very late night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,Sorry to hear of your sinusitis problems.I suffered with this for years and had to have stronger and stronger antibiotics to combat the bug.

One Dr I spoke to said to use products which contained Witchazel which was supposed to help plus I found Menthol Crystals floated in a bowl of hot water as a steam inhalation (towel placed ov head and bowl) certainly helped but don't use too many crystals as they can blow your head off.

Also read somewhere that cutting down on dairy products can help.

A good walk in the fresh air is also good for clearing the head.

Good Luck and hope you find some relief soon...Wendyxx

Janie said...

Thank you so much for all the advice, Wendy. Today (Tuesday) I'm feeling much better and the cotton wool feeling has almost gone. Keith and I are planning a walk after work today and I think that the weather over the weekend certainly helped!

Janie xx