Monday 25 December 2023

Happy Christmas!

I was first up this morning and I forgot to put the presents in the stockings! Oops! Sophie came down and asked where they were! I went upstairs, sorted them out and came down with them bulging! I was glad I was able to fit them all in!

One by one everyone emerged, and I put trays of pastries in the oven for breakfast, and we opened a bottle of Champagne. While the pastries were cooking we opened our gifts, and Keith and I were delighted to receive a beautiful hamper from Vikesh's family and a bottle of Irish whiskey from Abbie. All this did was make me feel guilty because our gifts were nowhere near as good! Mike and Sophie were delighted with their stocking fillers and the presents I'd bought yesterday at the last minute were probably the most appreciated - leather gardening gloves for Mike to use in his job, and a sweet stone coaster with a black cat painted on it for Sophie.

Sophie opened her presents from Vikesh - she received a beautiful Lego Succulents kit - and Mike and Abbie opened theirs, while I sorted out the pastries and set the table. We then enjoyed croissants with jam and butter, and Portuguese tarts, as well as pecan lattice pastries and toasted Pannetone. I opened a second bottle of Champagne and we enjoyed a lovely relaxed breakfast.

After clearing away and stacking the dishwasher Keith, Sophie and I planned out the cooking of the meal. We decided what time to put the turkey into the oven, and Keith prepared all the vegetables. It was a hive of activity! We'd decided on 3pm for lunch and I set the table with our best china and cutlery. With the grey and white crackers and the shining glassware, the table looked lovely.

I'd had plans to relax in the living room with a glass or two of Sherry and a film, but it didn't quite work out like that. Mike and Abbie were sprawled all over the sofa, so I sat and read the newspapers in the kitchen with my Sherry. They then came out and suggested a game of cards so we played until things began hotting up and Keith and Sophie needed help.

The last hour was spent writing down the timings for the vegetables and trimmings and at just past 3pm it was all ready. I carved the turkey and put the platter on the dining table, and then helped Sophie dish up. We left all the vegetables, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puddings, etc, on the kitchen island as we'd never have fitted it all onto the table. My wonderful husband and daughter had prepared and cooked the turkey, stuffing balls, sausages wrapped in bacon, Brussels sprouts cooked with diced bacon, red cabbage and apple, honey-glazed roasted carrots and parsnips, roast potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, and mashed swede! Phew!

It was a fantastic dinner and was beautifully cooked. I'd chosen two bottles of Vouvray to accompany the meal and the white wine went well with the turkey. Mike went back for an enormous second helping and we pulled the crackers at the end of the meal.

Sophie and I washed up, stacked the dishwasher and cleared away, and then we collapsed in a heap in the living room. Keith went upstairs for a long nap (he deserved it) while Sophie and Abbie also fell asleep. Even I napped for ten minutes while watching Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond try and find the source of the Nile in three old estate cars in Africa!

At 6pm we served Sophie's Tiramisu and my daughter and I had to sit in the kitchen as there were no chairs free in the living room... The dessert was gorgeous and after we'd eaten we decided to go upstairs and watch television. Mike and Abbie were sprawled all over the sofa again and if we'd sat in the living room one of us would have had to sit on the floor. We took Mooney with us who was delighted to curl up on the bed and go to sleep.

I have to say it was a long night but we enjoyed a couple of episodes of Help! We Bought a Village! and sipped the rest of the bottle of Vouvray. How lovely that we were actually in the village in September!


🎄Happy Christmas to you all, and here's to a peaceful 2024!🎅

No comments: