Wednesday 13 December 2023

A little Christmas shopping

I wasn't looking forward to my day off as I'd arranged to take Mum and Dad to the Weston Favell Centre to do some shopping, and I was dreading getting my Dad in and out of the car.

Sophie didn't go to the gym this morning, so I had a lie-in and a relaxed coffee before getting ready to collect my parents. Keith kindly came with me, and they were both ready when we arrived at the care home. 

Getting my Dad into the back of the VW was difficult, and he didn't seem able to help himself by lifting his legs or moving into a more upright position. We finally managed it, put the wheelchair and Mum's stroller in the boot and set off. The weather was wet and windy again, but at least the Weston Favell Centre was all under cover!

We managed to park in a space next to a walkway, so we had plenty of room to get Dad out of the car. Again, it was difficult and I did start to wonder how we'd cope on Christmas Day when he wouldn't be able to use a wheelchair in the house.

We had a coffee at Costa first and Mum said she didn't think it would be a good idea to come over for lunch on Christmas Day. I had to agree with her, as I was terrified that Dad would fall over or even trip over one of the cats. It was a huge relief for both Keith and me, but I said we would see them over Christmas and I knew that the care home would make it special for them.

Keith took Mum to Tesco while I shopped with Dad for my Mum. He wanted perfume and a watch and knew exactly what he wanted! Once this was done, we joined Keith and my Mum in Tesco and had lunch at Burger King. 

I took a longer route on the way back and showed them the massive housing estate that's being built at Overstone. This area is almost unrecognisable now, and as well as the houses, there's a new Aldi, a new care home and more shops and restaurants planned. What was once green fields is now part of the sprawl of Northampton!

At the care home, Keith set up Mum's tree in their room and I said I would try and get some decorations for her the next time I went to Tesco. 

Back home, Sophie had left to have lunch with Vikesh in Olney, followed by a trip to Costco in Milton Keynes, where I was hoping she'd buy some wine for us! Keith and I had a well-earned cup of tea and I pootled about doing the usual Wednesday chores!

Our daughter returned at about 6pm and we sat and chatted before starting dinner. She'd bought two lovely bottles of red wine! I put the oven on but didn't set the temperature so after half an hour it was still cold! Not a great thing to do! 

Tonight's whisky went by the fabulous name of Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire, a 10-year-old single malt Scotch whisky at 40%. As the name suggests, it was antiseptic, smoky and peaty, and I loved it!



No comments: