Wednesday 6 December 2023

Christmas shopping

Sophie didn't go to the gym today, which meant I could have a lovely lie-in! Bliss! She had made an appointment to see a senior nurse practitioner at the surgery today about being constantly stuffed up and having to use her inhaler. She wanted me to go with her, so I had a quick coffee and then jumped into the shower so we could leave at 9.30am.

The horrible weather of the past few days had disappeared to leave a beautiful day with clear, cold, blue skies and a heavy frost. I was glad Sophie hadn't set out early to go to the gym as the roads were icy. We arrived at the surgery and had a short wait before going to see the nurse. She was lovely and after a chat about Sophie's symptoms and a listen to her chest, she concluded the same as me... Sophie could be allergic to the cats. I said she had started sneezing on the way back from Buckingham when we first met them and hadn't really been very well ever since. As soon as she gets home, she becomes stuffed up and sneezes constantly. She did have a chest infection before which had now cleared up, but it looked likely the cats were the culprits when it came to her sniffles.

The nurse prescribed a daily antihistamine, and we returned home where Sophie carried on working. I treated myself to a pain au chocolat and a coffee, and then Keith and I set out for the Weston Favell Centre. I needed to go to the post office and Keith wanted to buy some new serving dishes in Tesco.

It was so lovely to see the sun shining out of a gorgeous blue sky this morning and the countryside was looking crisp and frosty. Predictably, by now the Weston Favell Centre was busy but we parked easily and made our way to the post office where I joined the queue. It cost me almost £15 for 2nd class stamps and the cost of postage for a card to the US!

We selected four glass Pyrex dishes and did some shopping. I made use of our visit and bought two jars of our favourite Jerk paste! I also bought Christmas cards for my parents and remembered back to when I used to buy huge, lavish cards for all the family and it cost me a fortune! Thank goodness I don't do that anymore!

From the Weston Favell Centre, we popped to a pet store nearby and bought the cats a collar each. They are reflective and different colours - blue for Mooney and red for Gomez. They will help us to tell them apart (!) and also help at night if they're out.

Back home, Sophie and I had the leftover paella for lunch and I pootled about, preparing the dinner for tonight (home chicken Kyivs) and writing my blog. Gomez came to help me with the blog but as I couldn't write with him draped over me, I put a cat video on for him to watch! He loved it!

Tonight's dinner was delicious and as most of the garlic butter had leaked out of the chickens we basted the breasts while they were cooking so they were deliciously moist.

Tonight, I enjoyed The Irishman - 


I enjoyed the most out of all the whiskies so far - it was smooth and fruity with hints of vanilla!


No comments: