Thursday 7 December 2023

Altered plans

Yesterday's gorgeous weather disappeared and we were back to heavy rain and wind this morning. My shift at work passed very quickly, and I left at 2pm intending to take Mum to Tesco at Kettering this afternoon, so she could buy a little Christmas tree for their room.

I called her before I left home and she said she still wanted to go, so I set off in absolutely horrible weather to pick her up. New houses are being built right next to the care home, so the access road was full of thick mud. It was horrible! I had to leave the car in the hatched area outside as there were no spaces, and I ran in to collect Mum, who wasn't in her room... I spoke to my Dad who wanted me to get £100 in cash for him (not a good idea) and as usual, didn't ask how I was or how the rest of the family was!

Mum had gone down to reception in the other lift which is why I missed her, and when we met up she said she didn't think it was a good idea to venture out in such nasty weather! I agreed with her, but why hadn't she said that when I called her fifteen minutes ago?! I arranged for her to come over to the house on Sunday afternoon instead, and left to go home.

My afternoon was rapidly disappearing, and I ordered two new pairs of shoes for Mum as the ones she was wearing were only suitable for a summer's day, and I looked for some new boots for myself. I also emailed a man at an auction company in Leicester who thinks we should be able to sell most of Mum and Dad's furniture, which was great news.

Keith had prepared a beef curry for tonight's dinner and the aroma was delicious. I hoovered and cleaned up the kitchen again but it wasn't as bad as the other night, thank goodness! Even Gomez hesitates before going out in this weather!

Sophie and I watched Love Actually this evening and it was a real treat. It was great seeing some of our brilliant actors looking so young as the film is about 20 years old! I had a peek at tonight's whisky but I didn't open it... I'm saving it for the weekend! It's Peaky Blinder Irish Whiskey and 40%. Tasting notes will follow!



No comments: