Saturday 2 December 2023

"Deck the halls"

The weather has been truly awful today with bitterly cold temperatures and heavy cloud cover. I was expecting it to snow at any minute! I think it stayed between -2c and 0c all day!

Sophie took charge of the Christmas decorations, and Keith and I were the background workers, taking the decorations down from the wardrobes, putting away the boxes and generally trying not to get in the way. Gomez went out so he wasn't present to see our first white tree go up and be decorated. Mooney was very curious, though, but didn't run off and hide as I expected him to. We had Christmas music playing on Alexa, so it was all very festive, with just the odd little bout of bickering here and there.

Both trees looked gorgeous as always, and Sophie did an excellent job of making them look beautiful. The gonks were out as usual, and my little array of tea light holders, although Keith wouldn't let me have them on the windowsill in the kitchen as he said they would set fire to the blind... he is obsessive about candles, having almost burnt his house down with a candle when he was a child!

Gomez made an appearance later and tried to climb up into the white tree but Sophie chased him away. He then tried to grab a few of the decorations near the bottom of the tree, but was reprimanded with a firm "No!". Weirdly, Mooney developed a fixation with a branch-like star decoration, grabbed it and ran off with it! Despite this, though, they were very good and their interest soon waned once we'd warned them off!

In the afternoon I managed to do some more research on my family tree. My DNA, in Texas, is now being extracted and the estimated time for the results will be from the 20th to the 27th of December. Right as Christmas falls!

I have a free month's trial of My Heritage, and they have a wonderful facility where you can upload old family photographs and get them enhanced and colourised. They also animate them and this was the creepiest thing I have ever seen in my life! I uploaded a photograph of two of my great-grandparents and when you focus on the faces, they move! It was so weird! I'm going to get Mum to come around and have a look next week!

In the early evening, Sophie and I settled down to watch Christmas with the Kranks, as we always do after we've decorated the trees. It's a great film and has some very funny moments!

Dinner tonight was barbecued chicken wings and salad for Keith and me, and the leftover Chilli for Sophie, who had turned her nose up at our choice of Saturday night dinner! I have to say that the wings were delicious and had been marinating in the sauce since yesterday!

After dinner, we decided to book a weekend break in France for my birthday! We're going to Normandy, to an  Airbnb near Bayeux and the Normandy beaches. That's something to look forward to in the New Year!

Keith and Sophie watched the football this evening... yes, you read that right! Sophie is quite happy to watch Newcastle play!


Tonight's whisky was "Darkness", a malt at a whopping 47.8%! We found it a little harsh, with a touch of antiseptic! 3/5!

No comments: