Sunday 24 December 2023

Christmas Eve!

Again, I was up at about 7am and having a quiet coffee with Mooney. Gomez can't wait to go out in the morning and cries at the door to be let out, bless him!

The weather has been grey, horrible and rainy all day so definitely not a white Christmas this year. Sophie made Tiramisu this morning for tomorrow's lunch, and I helped by whipping the cream and licking the bowl... well, you just have to! It is Christmas! She used the rest of my Tassimo decaffeinated espresso pods, which I was pleased about as they have been hanging around for a fair while!

We drove over to the care home and delivered Mum and Dad's presents. My Dad was still in bed with a chest infection, but he was looking better than I had expected. We stayed with my Mum for almost an hour and then left to drive to Weedon. Googly sent me off on a cross-country route, taking in the villages of Cold Ashby, West Haddon and Watford, and the countryside was a mix of greens and browns. I wished it was colder and frosty!

We spent a very pleasant half-hour shopping, and I bought another couple of stocking fillers for the children. At 2pm, we walked across to The 1867 for lunch and this time we were seated indoors. In fact, there was nobody outside at all and the restaurant was far quieter than I had anticipated.  Sophie chose lasagne while I opted for a jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise. We each enjoyed a glass of wine with our meal.

Halfway through our meal, a family came in with a dog who started barking, and this set another one off who was in a dog-pushchair type of contraption... This made three dogs (there was another at the table next to us) in a small dining area! Sometimes, I can't quite believe this is allowed as years ago, dogs were never allowed in cafés or restaurants, but now they seem to be as accepted as children and are often treated like them! The couple next to us had the restaurant's own treat jar for dogs on their table and another dog owner came over to help herself!

After our meal, we decided to have Christmas pudding and custard and it was delicious! It was 4pm by now and we definitely took the hint that the staff wanted to pack up and go home, so we drank the dregs of our wine and paid the bill. I was hoping to buy another couple of presents but everything was closed! I had tried to find out about the opening times on the website this morning but there were no special notices about Christmas, so I assumed that all the shops would be open until 5pm.

We drove home through the gloom, and as soon as we arrived home, Mike left to collect Abbie from town. We settled down to watch some television and they returned. We sat and chatted in the living room before a supper of cold meats, salad and new potatoes. Afterwards, I felt like we hadn't put enough of a spread on, as the food had rapidly disappeared, but we hadn't really been told what Mike and Abbie were doing for dinner this evening. 

Mike threw one of the cat toys at Sophie, which hit her in the face, so she went upstairs to be with the cats and be away from her brother. Gomez and Mooney have been wary of Mike for some reason and will not warm to him at all, which is very strange. Whether it's because he comes in without knocking on the door, I have no idea, but they have been skittish and jumpy around him and seem to prefer to be upstairs out of the way. I suppose it's a lot for them to cope with at Christmas!


No comments: