Sunday 18 June 2023

Annoying niggles!

I woke up far later than I wanted to, at almost 9am, so it felt like I'd wasted some precious time! Sophie had a stressful morning getting ready for her trip to London to see Sza at the O2, and unfortunately spilt make-up on the tee-shirt she wanted to wear. I tried my best to get the stain out but made it worse. She had to choose something else to wear in the end and was annoyed about what had happened. It didn't help that it was warm and humid today, with showers of rain forecast for later in the day.

We took her to the train station in Northampton where she met Vikesh. They'd booked a train at 11.45am, as it was starting in Northampton, and not coming from Birmingham, but to her intense annoyance it was cancelled and they had to take another train instead. Of course, there were no seats so they had to stand all the way to Euston. What is going on at the moment with trains? Every time she's travelled down lately, she's had to stand!

Keith and I returned home and had lunch using some leftover new potatoes from last night and four out-of-date eggs that I scrambled.  One egg in our fridge dated from the 1st of June so that one was thrown out! We're not eating many eggs at the moment!

I showered and went to see my parents for a very dismal meeting at the care home. My Dad was asleep most of the time and seemed very unimpressed with my, gifts of a lovely tee-shirt, a bag of Jelly  Babies and toiletries. While I was there three staff came in with more gifts of a bottle of beer, socks and chocolate, which was lovely.

I left feeling utterly depressed and drove home to the accompaniment of booms of thunder. Our dinner this evening was a very simple prawn salad, and Keith had chopped up lettuce, tomatoes, celery, spring onions and red pepper. I sat down with a glass of Leffe and watched Doc Martin, happily interrupted by Mike face-timing us to wish Keith a Happy Father's Day!

While we were chatting with him, the power went off and when it came back on, one of our electric switches tripped. We sorted that out, had dinner and we were just watching another episode of Doc Martin when it went again...

This time it was off for longer, and updates on our residents' Facebook page said it would be back by 11pm! I decided to go to bed and read my Kindle, but it came back on again! It's such a pain as all the digital clocks have to be reset and I was relying on the bedside alarm to get me up for work in the morning! 

I set the clocks again and then tried to go to sleep but Sophie texted me to say they were leaving the  O2 to get the tube back to their hotel near the Tower of London, so I waited up until she was back! 

No comments: