Wednesday 7 June 2023

A family trip out!

Keith and I took my Mum and Dad to the Weston Favell Centre today to get their bank account sorted out, and to take them out for lunch. I wasn't looking forward to going one bit, but we managed to get the wheelchair in the back of the VW by putting down the middle armrest which helped enormously. My parents find it difficult to get into my car so this was ideal. My Dad was sporting a black eye from his latest fall out of bed, and it does bring it home to me how vulnerable they'd be if they still lived at home.

I was hoping to see a couple of my Mum and Dad's friends, but we ran into an ex-employee of the bank as we went into the shopping mall. She can talk the hind legs off a donkey and I made the mistake of asking her about her retirement.... well! She launched into an interminable monologue about what she was up to until we had to interrupt her as Keith and Dad were waiting for us! I didn't ever think she was going to stop!

We had a coffee first and then popped into the bank. I wanted to change Mum and Dad's current account to a normal one, not a "Reward" account as they were paying £20 a month needlessly. A very helpful member of staff showed me how to do it on my banking app! I wish I'd known that before!

From the bank, we went into Tesco so Mum and Dad could do some shopping, and then it was lunch at Burger King, as a treat for my Dad who loves burgers. Keith and I had chicken burgers and I nearly ended up wearing mine!

We drove them back and then it was home to catch up with the chores I hadn't done this morning! I was busy until Sophie came home at 5.30pm! I was determined to clean our new window in the kitchen, which had a long streak of bird poo running down it, and I was horrified at the state of the conservatory. Keith and I discussed spending a whole day in the garden at the weekend... what a great thing to look forward to! Not!

Sophie cooked a delicious chicken stir-fry this evening and there was just enough leftover for our lunches on Friday. Sophie is volunteering at a food bank allotment tomorrow, and lunch is provided, so she was looking forward to pizza and a lot of hard work!

Before bed, we walked up to the post box at the entrance to the estate and met Lynn and Daphne the dog (a lurcher rescued from China). Daphne was looking sleek and shiny and was obviously benefitting from Lynn's love and care. We had a lovely chat as the sun sank lower in the sky and it was lovely to get out for a little while and enjoy the cool evening air!

No comments: