Monday 1 May 2023

Dreaming of France!

I worked today from 9am until 2pm, but I have the Bank Holiday Monday off next week (the extra one for the King's Coronation). I was in with Jo and we had a very hectic first couple of hours as people made swimming bookings. After the initial rush, it did calm down a bit and I was able to tackle some emails and do the box office returns.

At 2pm I drove home and suggested to Keith that as I had a three-day weekend coming up, could we go back to France? I was fully expecting him to say a firm no, but he agreed! We decided to stay just on Saturday night on the coast near Calais, and after looking up prices for the ferry versus the shuttle, I booked a P&O ferry and found a lovely little Airbnb in the coastal town of Étaples near Boulogne. I texted Sophie who was delighted, and she said that she and Vikesh had booked to go to Istanbul in November!

The ferry is at the more reasonable time of 10am, getting us to France at lunchtime, and we're heading back on Sunday evening so that will give us Monday to recover. I'm now glad we didn't put the luggage back into the wardrobe! There must have been a reason!

Keith and I had talked about going out for a meal tonight, but even before we'd decided to head back to France, we'd said we wouldn't go out, and we'd get a Chinese takeaway instead. We then changed our minds again and had a naughty dinner of homemade chips, sausage and egg! We can only do this when Sophie's away!

After dinner (and once in a good while, it's delicious!) we watched an interesting documentary on the hijacking of Pan Am Flight 73 in Karachi. I remembered it happening only too well, as seven months later, in April 1987, I flew into Karachi en route to Nepal. I remembered getting off my PIA flight and the plane being surrounded by armed guards! Scary times!

No comments: