Wednesday 17 May 2023

Tyre shocks!

Other than seeing my Mum in the afternoon, I didn't have much planned for today, so it's been a quiet and uneventful day off. Maybe we should plan some days out to make the most of my Wednesdays!

Keith and I debated doing dome gardening, but we said we'd leave it until the weekend when we had more time. The grass has grown and because of the sunshine and rain we've been having, everything is thriving. Our clematis is looking beautiful but the flowering time is a little short. Already the grass around the plant is covered in delicate pink petals.


Keith had arranged for a mobile tyre company to come and repair my front, driver's side tyre which we think has a slow puncture. I was bombarded with texts and emails confirming the arrival of the mechanic in the afternoon but I was glad to get it sorted, to be honest. We only use my Audi to do short runs now as my Dad's car is much more reliable but the tyre's been a worry for a while.

I pootled about all morning and Keith prepared the vegetables for the spaghetti bolognese we were having for dinner. Sophie wanted me to make it from scratch without using a jar or packet, so Keith finely chopped carrots, an onion and a celery stick along with garlic to form the basis of the sauce.

The mechanic arrived at 2pm and did a lot of teeth-sucking and grimacing. He had a real job to get one of the wheel nuts loose and the result was a repaired front tyre and a replacement back tyre costing £200, so a bit more than we expected! If my car fails its MOT in August then that's it. It's a huge shame as it was a gorgeous car when I bought it back in 2013 and it still drives beautifully, but it's now showing its age and costing us money.

I went to collect Mum who was waiting for me, and we drove to Tesco to do some shopping and have a coffee. While Mum had a look around the store I bought a bottle of Cremant de Loire for Friday night when I have Lynda, Andrea and Fiona coming around for a glass of fizz before we have a meal at our local pub. I also bought some nibbles, a pack of knickers and some herbal tea! There's not much you can't get in our giant Tesco store!

I dropped Mum off, said hello to my Dad and returned home where I had a cup of my new herbal tea. It was delicious, and no caffeine!

I started cooking dinner at 6pm and cooked the vegetables first, adding the mince that Keith had already browned. I then added red wine, a tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and beef stock and let it simmer for over an hour. It smelt delicious and we all knew exactly what was in it!

As it was simmering away Sophie and I sat and chatted at the kitchen island so it was a lovely relaxed evening. My daughter made some garlic bread for me and I cooked tagliatelle. Voila! All done!

Keith wanted to watch the football on BT Sport this evening so Sophie and I retired upstairs. Before we went, I put some hedgehog food down, but this proved to be a mistake as every rook, jackdaw and magpie in the vicinity was alerted, and the garden was soon full of birds nicking all the food and making a right racket! Tomorrow we'll put the food down a bit later when the birds have gone to bed!

No comments: