Friday 19 May 2023

An evening out with friends.

Sara was off today, so I caught up with some very moany emails in between answering the phone. We weren't busy so I had plenty of time to deal with them, and a lot of them were about our swimming lessons again. I was so fed up that I did a Google search to find out how much other places charge and we're really reasonable, as our prices include so many other activities, not just lessons! Some swim schools were charging £12 just for one lesson!

At 4pm I sped home and gave the kitchen a good clean, hoovered downstairs and mopped the floor. By 6pm everything looked lovely and I went upstairs to have a shower and wash my hair. It was great tonight to put on some summery clothes as outside the sun was shining and it was quite warm! Has Spring arrived at last! It hasn't been a brilliant start to the season!

Lynda, Andrea and Fiona arrived at 7pm and we stood and had a glass of the delicious Loire fizz and enjoyed some nibbles while chatting. Keith then gave us a lift to the pub which was packed with people enjoying their Friday evening.

We were seated straightaway in the back room and ordered drinks - G&Ts for Andrea and Fiona, and white wine for Lynda and me. We eventually got around to ordering after chatting - baked goat's cheese for me, prawns in a spicy sauce for Andrea and Fiona, and pitta bread and hummus for Lynda. We all went for steak for a main, Lynda's served with a Greek salad, washed down with a very good bottle of  Argentinian Malbec. The girls ordered their steaks to be cooked medium rare while I went for medium, but when they were delivered to the table they were all on the side of well done! 

Matthew, who is the son of old friends of ours, seems to be the manager, and he was very apologetic, saying he would give us a free drink and take off the cost of a couple of desserts. My steak was delicious, though, and I had no complaints as it was far, far better than the rubbish we had in Compiègne last month!

After the meal, we ordered another bottle of wine and chose desserts - three of us enjoyed crème brulée, and Andrea and Fiona sipped a Bailey's. We had a lovely evening and didn't stop talking! We were the last in the pub and Keith came to pick us up at about 10.45pm. The girls ordered a taxi and I opened another bottle of wine while we waited.

Lynda's partner had offered to pick her up but she hadn't given him the right postcode and he ended up in the back of beyond! She eventually went at about midnight, bless her, after chasing him around the estate!

No comments: