Wednesday 31 May 2023

A mooching-about kind of day...

The last couple of days have been chilly, and the sunshine has been replaced with heavy grey skies. I mooched about the house today, and felt like I'd achieved nothing! However, I did book an Airbnb in Auxerre (near where we stayed last year) and we booked the Eurotunnel (or Le Shuttle as it's now known) for our journey across the Channel, using our Tesco Clubcard vouchers, so we saved £120! That was a definite bonus!

We also tried, and failed, to update the VWs Satnav and I grappled with this for far longer than I should have, which was frustrating. I popped in to see Mum and Dad in the afternoon and took a box of cakes, and we chatted for an hour, but it wasn't the cheeriest of conversations. Later in June, they will have been in the care home for three years, something I can't quite believe, but they still haven't come to terms with what's happened, and I don't think they ever will.

Sophie and I watched another episode of Masterchef after a delicious dinner of paella, and the four contestants were reduced to three finalists. Half of the programme was set in a restaurant called Core, run by Clare Smyth, and the preparation of the dishes was daunting in the extreme! I looked at the website and the tasting menu is £205 per person... and if you want a wine pairing, it's another £135 each on top! I'm not sure we'll be booking that when we next venture to London!

After Masterchef, Keith and I watched an intriguing programme on BBCiPlayer called Trauma Zone, about the downfall of communism in Russia between 1985 and 1999. It was a series of clips found in the BBC archives office in Moscow, stitched together to form a seven-part series, and it was utterly fascinating!

No comments: