Friday 12 May 2023

The nanny state!

Sophie had a doctor's appointment this morning to check her thyroid, so I had to set my own alarm for 6.30am. At least I had an extra half an hour!

She texted me while I was working to say she'd had an alarming visit and had seen a horrible female doctor, which wasn't good news. She wasn't able to see her regular GP who is lovely, and had booked an appointment with someone else. She experiences bad headaches before her period and the doctor said it could be down to increased sensitivity in her blood vessels, which could cause a stroke! What a nasty thing to say! She then berated Sophie for drinking half a bottle of wine on a Friday night with me, and enjoying a tipple over the weekend! Sophie was livid, and so was I! If we can't enjoy a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend after a week at work, then what's the point?

I know, as a family, we like a drink (anyone reading this blog would know that!), but Sophie eats very healthily, exercises five to six times a week at the gym and doesn't have a drink from Monday to Thursday. I thought the doctor's attitude was awful, and she didn't question Sophie on any other aspects of her life at all. As the day wore on I became more annoyed, and I suspected that the doctor was just ticking boxes, and was following some kind of Government directive to get us all to be like robots and not enjoy life at all! I am fed up with being told what to do all the time!

Anyway, rant over! Sophie and I will continue to enjoy a glass of good quality wine at the weekend! What would the doctor prefer? That she imbibes cans of disgusting fizzy drinks containing nothing but chemicals?

At work, I managed to finish all the cash-ups and I hope I did OK. If nothing else, I've recorded all of the figures so that should help Sheila on Monday. The phones weren't busy today but I had a couple of annoying calls, and I do wonder how long I can do this job. Some of our callers are just plain stupid! 

It was great to leave at 4pm and look forward to the weekend and Eurovision tomorrow which is everywhere at the moment. You can't escape it, but it's great we're hosting for Ukraine!

Keith went to the pub this evening and Sophie and I enjoyed a delicious Alsace Pinot Gris while catching up with Masterchef and Race Across The World. Bring on the weekend!

No comments: