Sunday 1 May 2022

What a day!

Today has been very busy indeed and I'm just glad I have tomorrow off work! 

After a breakfast of pastries and coffee, Sophie made a start on the preparations for some little egg custard tarts she wanted to make. Keith tackled the shelf in our tiny laundry room and cut it to size. I amused myself by cleaning out the filter in the tumble dryer and giving the cupboard a good clean. I know how to enjoy myself on a Bank Holiday weekend!

After a lot of grappling, being stuck in a confined space and some swearing, the shelf was done and looked lovely with our laundry basket on top. Keith had done a good job with the old shelf but it certainly wasn't wide enough and things fell off the back, never to be seen again! Now we're going to use it as an extra shelf and arrange some pretty jars on it. I'm determined to have a lovely little laundry "room"!

Sophie's recipe said the prep for the tarts would take 30 minutes but she was at it for far longer than that, bless her! She made the cinnamon custard and then rolled out two sheets of pastry, one liberally sprinkled with more spice and icing sugar. She then had to roll them out together and form a long sausage before cutting into rounds. These were then rolled out into circles, popped into a muffin tray and filled with the custard.

While they were cooking I peeled and cooked potatoes and cod for the fishcakes for our dinner this evening. I hadn't bargained for spending the whole day preparing food, but that's what happened! We had some lunch (leftover mince and dumplings) and Sophie helped me put clean sheets and a duvet cover on my bed. Not the best of days to decide to wash the bedding as the weather was grey and drizzly!

We quickly had a shower and went to pick up my Mum. Back home, Sophie made a big pot of masala tea and we sat in the conservatory with our custard tarts and drinks. Delicious!

We sat and chatted for a couple of hours, then we returned Mum, and drove home via the scenic route, No hot air balloons about tonight - no sunshine either! Before we were able to relax and play Scrabble, Sophie and I coated the already formed fishcakes with breadcrumbs ready to cook later. One of them threatened to fall apart as I dipped it in the egg,  but I saved it! I had a dread they would all collapse which is why I decided to cook them in the oven, rather than risk frying them!

We had a great game of Scrabble and then popped everything in the oven to cook - the fishcakes, asparagus and cubed potatoes to roast. Simples! The meal was lovely and we'll definitely cook them from scratch again, even if it does take a bit of effort!

No comments: