Saturday 14 May 2022

We're second!

I felt a bit bleary this morning, and after waking up at 7am and going downstairs, I went back to bed at about 8am for another hour... oh dear! 

I felt much better when I woke up again and we pottered about in the morning, catching up with jobs and watching some of Saturday Morning Kitchen. At lunchtime, we drove over to Weedon, through stunning countryside that was in full bloom.

We decided to have lunch first and managed to bag a table outside. Sophie ordered a Pimms while I made do with a glass of water. I was still trying to re-hydrate after last night! We had lunch of sandwiches and turkey salad and it was heavenly to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.


The place was packed, and after lunch, we had a wander around the shops. I was on the lookout for some pretty jars for the new laundry room and I found a little slate tile with "Laundry" on it that was perfect for the door.

From the Shires Shopping Village we drove to Vintique in Weedon itself and I picked out two lovely little jars which will go perfectly in the kitchen. I also found a wooden sign for lost socks which will come in handy! We're always losing socks and lonely ones stay on an armchair in the living room until their partner is found!


Today has been warm and the temperature was about 22c. Summer is on its way! From Weedon, we drove to Dobbies Garden Centre as I wanted to get a bottle of Champagne and there's a Sainsbury's outlet there. They only had one bottle, though, so we bought an ice cream instead and sat in the car to eat it! Perfect for a warm day!

We bought a bottle of Champagne in Aldi for a few pence over £13, which was excellent value, and returned home to relax. I made the meringue for a pavlova while Sophie prepared vegetables for the beef stroganoff. Of course, tonight was the Eurovision Song Contest and we were hoping that we'd do better than last year when we received nul points!

Sophie and I played Scrabble and listened to music and Keith joined us at the island to watch the FA Cup Final. Liverpool won on penalties. Sophie beat me by 3 points... drat!

Dinner was delicious and we ate the stroganoff with rice and garlic bread. We managed to catch up with the Eurovision Song Contest, and we enjoyed this year's show very much. We scored each song and our favourites were Armenia and Iceland, both of whom didn't do that well. I finished off the pavlova and we drank Champagne and had a lovely evening.

The fantastic surprise, this year, though were the scores Great Britain received. We were leading after the Jury votes, but once the public votes had been counted, Ukraine won and we were second! Not much surprise there! But it was brilliant for us! What a difference to last year when we were well and truly last!


No comments: