Monday 2 May 2022

A Bank Holiday treat

This morning was a lot quieter, and we had a lazy start to the May Day holiday. Keith had offered to take us out for lunch and after a lot of thought, we'd picked The Red Lion at Sibbertoft. Keith and I had visited years ago and I remember it as being a little hidden gem, cosy and interesting with an extensive wine list. It must have been pre-2010 as I don't remember writing about it on my blog, and I have a feeling I was working at Duncan's shop in Market Harborough. We'd tried to visit it a few years back on a Bank Holiday Monday, but it had been closed.

We'd booked a table yesterday to make sure, and we were told there was a large party due in at 1pm. We made our way over, through beautiful Northamptonshire countryside, to a village that really is hidden away. Keith tried the door at the back of the pub and it was locked, so he said the place was closed and we'd made a mistake... Luckily, the front door was open with a couple of people standing at the bar.

We sat in the window, Keith ordered our drinks, and we had a good look at the menu. Sophie looked like she had a bad smell under her nose, and her mood really didn't improve the whole time we were there. Later, she told us that the menus were scruffy, and the landlady wasn't much better!

In the blurb on the website, the owners had said that the pub had been "rejuvenated" but it wasn't as we'd remembered it at all. I thought back over the years and recalled sitting in a cosy, dimly-lit lounge and chatting to the landlord about wine, but today we were in a bare room with wood-panelled walls and not a lot of character!

The menu was fine, and I chose the baby rack of ribs (I was very hungry!) while Sophie went for a curry and Keith chose the steak and kidney pudding (which I wish I'd had!). The large party were nowhere to be seen... had they cancelled or was it a fib?

I have to admit we seemed a dismal little party this lunchtime - Sophie seemed unhappy but Keith did like his beer which was well-kept. One of the locals at the bar spoke loudly to his companion and every other word was a swear word, so that wasn't good! I'm just glad we didn't have young children with us! Was he saying it because it was obvious we weren't local? I have no idea...

Our food arrived and Keith enjoyed his pudding which looked delicious. My ribs were far smaller than I'd imagined, and had obviously been on a diet as there wasn't a lot of meat on them! I was still hungry when I finished my meal! The ribs came accompanied by a tiny corn on the cob, coleslaw, homemade chips and a thick barbecue sauce that covered everything.

Keith passed on a dessert as he was full but Sophie and I packed away a rhubarb crumble (me) and treacle sponge, both served with custard. The desserts made up for the disappointment with the food.

Another couple had arrived to eat, but that was it, so the pub was very quiet. I doubt we will return, which is a shame as I'd been wanting to go back for ages. Before we drove home we went to see a horse in a small field near to the pub to say hello. He was the most chilled horse I'd ever seen, and seemed to enjoy us talking to him and stroking his velvety nose!

We took a longer route home and drove past the Battle of Naseby site (1645) before going to the village itself. We'd overheard the people at the bar talking about a pub in Naseby re-opening and wondered if our old favourite, The Fitzgerald Arms, was in business again. It wasn't but it looked like the other pub in the village, The Royal Oak, was busy.

Back home it was time for a nap (I can't eat a big meal at lunchtime) and then Scrabble in the evening. It was heavenly not to have to cook and think about dinner for a change!

No comments: