Sunday 31 October 2021

Tornado, anyone?

We woke this morning to driving rain and wind, and although we talked about not going on our trip to Kent to visit Knole House, in the end, we decided to go. How bad could the weather be?

We set out at 10am and Google maps said the best route was the A14, the M11 and the M25. I had already looked up the new Ultra Low Emission Zone in London and discovered that it covered the Blackwall Tunnel and Greenwich, which was annoying. It would cost me £12.50 to drive that route!

I'd paid £5 to use the Dartford Bridge/Tunnel so we were well-prepared, but we weren't, sadly, prepared for the freak weather that hit Northamptonshire this morning. As we turned onto the A14, the wind really got up, and at one point, there was an almighty gust that sent leaves spinning through the air, and I honestly thought that a lorry on the opposite carriageway was going to blow over. The dual carriageway was literally covered in green leaves and they were raining down on us like snow. Ahead, was a clear blue sky but behind a huge dark cloud. I am not normally afraid when I drive in bad weather, but today I was, and the thought of struggling with the wind and rain for another two hours certainly wasn't pleasant. I had to keep a tight grip on the steering wheel and debris was blowing all over the road, including plastic drums and containers. 

The outside lane of the A14 was covered in leaves - you couldn't see the road - and after driving through the tortuous weather, we decided to turn back at Thrapston. We'd noticed the cars slowing down on the opposite side and, as we travelled back home, we discovered why:


A tree had fallen across the inside lane, and this happened again a little way further up the road. Imagine if you'd been driving and that happened! I think we made the right decision!

More was to come, though... our route home was blocked by a fallen tree just outside our village so we had to turn around and try another route. Although the sun had come out now, the wind was still strong,  but the gusts we'd experienced on the A14 were the worst I'd ever known.

Back at home, I checked our weather and there were still no warnings out for our area. I felt really angry because if we'd been warned about the damaging gusts and torrential rain, I would never have set out. Why do we get weather warnings and then nothing happens? I was so annoyed I went onto the Met Office's Facebook page and wrote a stern post!

As we were both all dressed up, we decided to venture out to Olney for lunch. We had to take a circuitous route as there was a tree down between Walgrave and Holcot, and we encountered more damage as we drove into Buckinghamshire.

We headed for Teapots as we'd been dreaming of lunch there as we drove! Luckily it was quiet so we took a table and chose our lunch - jacket potato with cheese and beans for Sophie, and one with Coronation chicken for me. We even found room for a big pot of tea and their Guinness and chocolate cake!

Disappointingly, a lot of shops were closed, but the charity shop in the market square was open so we had a brief look around in there, plus a shop selling all manner of accessories and scented candles. Before going home we bought some sweets for Halloween (I hadn't bothered before as I thought we would be out for the day).

Back home the local news was full of talk about a tornado that had hit Northamptonshire... the wind was undoubtedly strong, but I'm not sure it was a tornado! There had been widespread damage and a lot of roads were affected by fallen trees. The Met Office really did do well, didn't they?!

As the clocks went back an hour last night, it was dark at 5pm. I lit all the candles, we put our terracotta pumpkin outside with tea lights inside and put a spooky video on the television courtesy of YouTube. Sophie and I played Scrabble and answered the door numerous times to Trick or Treaters, all of whom were polite and well-mannered. All of the sweets went, so that was a bonus!

No comments: