Wednesday 13 October 2021

Mince disaster!

Julie arrived this morning to measure up for two blinds and the bench seat cushion, but before she got down to business we had a good chat. Her two daughters have now left home and one of them is working as a vet. I still see them as little girls who used to have sleepovers with Sophie! Where has the time gone!

I showed Julie the material we wanted to use, and she advised that a plainer fabric would be better for the cushion, and she would look at some samples. We decided on a teal colour as a contrast, as there were hints of this colour in the blind fabric.

After she'd gone she texted me to say that the price of the fabric we liked had gone down in price but there were limited stocks, so I ordered three metres straight away! The warehouse is in Northampton so I could arrange to go and collect it tomorrow.

I prepared all the vegetables for dinner, and the mince to make a savoury crumble and went to collect Mum from the care home. I suggested having a coffee at the Costa in Next so she could do some shopping if she wanted. 

We sat and enjoyed our coffee (I had the first mince pie of the season!) and then we had a look in the shop. I picked out a lovely picture for the kitchen and, after sending a photo to Sophie for approval, decided to buy it. It would look great against the white wall in the kitchen.


Before I took Mum back, we called at home so she could see the kitchen again, pet Monty and have a chat for half an hour. She seemed a bit depressed today and I think she is still finding it hard to adapt to her new life.

In the evening, I made the savoury crumble but it wasn't a success. I blitzed some leftover garlic bread in our blender and used that as a topping, but the mince tasted strange and Keith said it was because I'd cooked it without draining off the fat. I disagreed, but I don't think we'll be making it again for a long time!



 

No comments: