Saturday 30 October 2021

Jabs galore!

Sophie went to the gym this morning and called me from the car sounding very upset. Sadly, she had seen a dead cat on the dual carriageway, and it reminded her of Monty (who at the time was curled up on her bed). Unfortunately, because we live in the country, we see all manner of dead animals when we drive about - badgers, squirrels, rabbits, and even Muntjac deer. I dread hitting one of those. I have killed a badger (on Moulton Park industrial estate of all places) and recently, a squirrel, so I know how upsetting it is. 

I had my flu jab booked for 10am at the surgery and asked Keith to come with me as I thought the place would be packed. It was empty, and I was the only one there! It went very smoothly and I was in and out within minutes. As I emerged from the building (at the back) it was pelting it down with rain so I had to run to the car! I got soaked!

When I returned home I looked up a play called The Shark is Broken on the internet. It had been featured on the BBC news this morning and starred Ian Shaw who is the actor, Robert Shaw's, son. The play is about the behind-the-scenes drama on the set of Jaws and I really wanted to go and see it in Covent Garden. I was a bit disappointed to find that matinee seats next Thursday were going for between £50 and £60! The play is an hour and a half, and I just couldn't justify spending that much money! I am really hoping the play will tour the provincial theatres and then we'll go and see it!

Sophie returned from the gym still looking upset, and we all got ready to go out at 11.30am to Guilsborough. Keith had an appointment for his Covid booster jab at 12pm and we'd booked a table at The Witch and Sow for lunch. The pub used to be called The Ward Arms but changed its name to reflect stories about a trio of witches riding a sow from Guilsborough to the nearby village of Ravensthorpe. Apparently, there are stories of witchcraft in Guilsborough, and two women were hanged in about 1600!

Guilsborough surgery was packed, and I parked the car while Keith went in. Again, he was seen very quickly and we drove the short distance to the pub, which had only just opened. We took a table in the window and had a good look at the lunch menu. The weather now was gorgeous so it was lovely sitting by the window and soaking up the sunshine.

After half an hour we ordered our lunch - a fish finger sandwich for Keith, Ploughman's sandwich for Sophie and a black pudding Scotch Egg for me, served with a side of French Fries. The food was very good, and gradually more people came into the pub. It would have been nice to have had a fire on though, to warm us up a bit!

After we'd eaten we paid the bill and returned home where we relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. I cut Sophie's hair and she cut mine, and we looked at the regulations for our upcoming break in Mallorca. Apparently, we must provide evidence of our vaccinations and complete numerous forms. Sophie has two days holiday booked next week and we've decided to devote a whole day to sorting out what we need to do!

As it was Saturday, it was Scrabble and drinks, and then a light supper of cheese, biscuits, grapes, celery, apple and a tot of Port. The cheese (all from Aldi) was delicious and we enjoyed goats' cheese, Red Leicester, smoked Cheddar and Stilton!

No comments: