Thursday 21 October 2021

Christmas is coming...

After a slow start to Thursday, Keith and I went shopping this morning and spotted a shelving unit in Aldi that looked perfect for our shoe cupboard. We snapped it up as it was only £14.99!

When we got home and unpacked it, we realised that it was not at all suitable - there was no way we could have put any shoes on it! It'll have to go on the wall somewhere else in the house, maybe Sophie's bedroom or in one of the bathrooms!

I picked Mum up in the afternoon and we dropped off the material I'd bought at Julie's house, and picked up some more samples for the cushion. We have decided to have the blinds made up in the beautiful fabric we bought last week, but delay the cushion until next year as the cost for both was coming out at nearly £700. I don't doubt that Julie would have made a fabulous job of the cushion, but at the moment we are using the worktop as valuable space, and it will certainly come in handy at Christmas!

From Julie's house, we drove to Beckworth for a cup of tea and a slice of cake. The weather today has been gorgeous with clear blue skies and sunshine, and it was a real treat to visit the shop. Unfortunately, we were told there was a wait of about half an hour, so we had a look around the Christmas section. I saw a gorgeous Christmas cushion which would have looked lovely in our living room but it was £50! There were some beautiful things for sale, including a lit-up deer and baby for £350, but we kept our purses in our bags! I will probably go back with Sophie and have a look, and maybe buy a gonk!

I said to Mum that once she moves into the two rooms at the new care home, she could decorate her living room, so it would be great to think they'll be in before Christmas.

Our buzzer went off so we made our way to the restaurant and we were seated by the window. The sunlight was flooding through and it was lovely to sit and relax. Mum ordered a slice of Victoria sandwich cake while I chose a scone with jam and butter. 




Both of us only managed half of our cakes, so we had them boxed up so Mum could enjoy them later in the day. After paying, we had another look around and then I took Mum back. I was expecting a call from Sophie to pick her up from the station, and she let me know she would be getting in at about 6.15pm, which was far better than I'd expected. 

Keith and I drove down in heavy traffic to collect her, and she'd had a brilliant time, especially the cocktails at The Shard, which she said was fantastic as they'd been seated by the window with wonderful views.

Back home we quickly prepared dinner - quiche with new potatoes, asparagus and sweetcorn. We both enjoyed a drink before eating, but Sophie was shattered and her cold was still hanging about. I just hope Keith and I don't catch it!

No comments: