Wednesday 20 October 2021

Florida weather!

I had a lie-in this morning, and woke up just before 8.30am. One of us, at least, had to be at home today for when the electrical engineer calls. He said he would try and get to us on Wednesday so I just hope he does!

When I went downstairs to make my morning coffee, the weather took a turn for the worse... we had thunder and lightning and torrential rain with strong winds. It reminded me of the storms we had in Florida!


Keith and I spent the morning pottering about and doing some jobs, and the sun came out! What a difference to this morning! I took all of the towels and bedding out of the airing cupboard, in readiness for the engineer's call, and noticed that some of them were a little damp. Did we have a leak on Sunday that splashed onto some of the electrics in the cupboard?

I made lunch, and I just knew that when we sat down to eat, the engineer would arrive, and he did! Imagine our embarrassment when the problem we'd experienced on Sunday evening failed to materialise! We tried everything - turning on the heating and the water and making sure that nothing was different to how it was on Sunday, but the central heating system was working properly with no trips. We couldn't believe it!

He was very understanding and went into a long explanation about leakages that we didn't fully understand, but he said that if the electrics kept tripping we might need to upgrade our fuse box. With the new kitchen we have far more appliances than we did before so it might not be able to cope.

Keith looked mightily relieved - he'd been expecting a huge bill, so it was a real bonus that we weren't charged anything for a call-out. If something goes wrong again, he'll be the first person we contact!

We had a very quiet house again this evening and before having dinner played cards in the kitchen. Sophie was out for another dinner and at 10pm, as I was going to bed, she texted me to say she was off to The Shard, with Abby, for cocktails... I told her to have a good time, but I just hoped she wouldn't be out too late!

No comments: