Thursday 7 October 2021

Breakfast out!

I treated Keith to breakfast this morning at Beckworth, and luckily there was no queue! Before going to the restaurant we looked for turkeys but there were none. It is a bit early!

The breakfast was delicious - egg, bacon, sausage, hash brown, tomato, beans and mushrooms served with toast - but the price of the coffee was extortionate. £2.95 for a cup of black coffee served with milk. Having worked in catering I know that the profit margin on that must be huge. I realise that companies have to try and get back some money after the lockdowns we endured, but this felt like daylight robbery!

Once we'd eaten we had a wander around and I noticed that there was a lot of Christmas stuff available. I find it hard to believe that this year has gone by so quickly! After Beckworth, we popped to Tesco and bought a couple of things that Keith had forgotten yesterday. I looked at quilt covers for the spare room but we decided that we'll probably buy them in Jones's. Their quilts are lovely and fluffy! We also put some more diesel in my car in readiness for my and Sophie's trip to Henley-on-Thames on Saturday.

The rest of the day was spent pottering about - I cleaned the windows in the kitchen, and the cloakroom window, and ventured out into the garden to clear up the leaves and prune back the bushes. The grey weather of this morning had given way to the occasional spell of sunshine in the afternoon and it was a lovely Autumnal day.

We also prepared tonight's dinner of fajitas but Keith said he didn't fancy it at all! Sophie cooked the meal in the evening and we all sat in the kitchen to eat. If the energy prices go through the roof this winter, we may do this all the time and shut up the conservatory!


No comments: