Thursday 6 May 2021

Voting niggles...

Keith did his usual stint at the shops this morning, while I tackled a load of paperwork for my parents. I needed to change their address, so I printed off about six letters for them to sign. It took me all morning to do, but I did feel better when I'd finished, as again, it was a job I'd been meaning to do for ages. I also had the letter that Tesco Bank sent me with the password for my Dad to give them, so we could sort out the fraudulent payment on his credit card.

Monty doesn't seem to be very well at the moment - he's off his food which is not like him at all, so we're a bit worried. If it carries on we'll take him to the vet. He spent a lot of the day asleep in the conservatory but we do have to realise he's getting older and is now 15, about 76 in human years, bless him!

Keith dropped me off at the care home because we're not driving my car at all at the moment. We've booked it into a garage in Moulton for next Monday when I'm hoping we can get it fixed. While he went to get Mike from work, I did another lateral flow test and then saw my parents at 2pm in the garden room. It took me almost the whole time I was there to sort out the credit card, and it appears a new one was sent out to them at their old address in March. Why it wasn't forwarded to me, as it should have been, is a mystery. Apparently, someone tried to use it again for an Uber ride, but this was after I'd put a stop on it, thank goodness.

We can now take residents out for a visit so I'm going to make an appointment to take Mum out next week. At long last, things seem to be returning to normal!

Keith and Mike picked me up, we returned home, I wrote out all the envelopes, and we popped to Brixworth to post them. A good job done!

When Sophie returned home from work we went to vote in the local elections. Mike said he wasn't interested and at the last minute Sophie said she didn't want to either! So much for having their say! We had to bring our own pens to the polling station but, despite having loads in my bag, I only took one in...

As usual, two stuffed shirts were manning the desks (a man and a woman), and we gave our names and addresses. Keith went over to the voting booth and I followed him as he had our only pen. I wasn't intending to actually stand next to Keith in the booth, but the woman at the desk barked at me to go to my own booth in a very loud voice. I said he was my husband, but she said it was the rules. I felt so embarrassed, and to make it worse, a group of people had arrived to vote as she was ticking me off. I had to wait for ages for Keith to make his selections, and I was so annoyed I can't remember who I even voted for!

To make it worse, Keith agreed with the woman about telling me off, so we had a major row in the car! We had decided to have fish and chips this evening, as neither of us felt like cooking, so it was a very tense ride in the car to Kettering to buy our evening meal. Sophie was bemused by what had happened, and I vowed from now on to cast a postal vote in the future!




No comments: