Sunday 23 May 2021

Tea and cake.

Sophie was having lunch with Laura today, and I had arranged to take my Mum out for a cup of tea and a slice of cake at Weedon. 

I managed to put a colour on my hair in the morning as it really needed it! I do sometimes toy with the idea of going grey naturally, but I can't stand it! Laura picked Sophie up at 1pm just as I got out of the shower and I waved them goodbye from Sophie's bedroom window. They had a lovely hug, the first one in ages, which was lovely, as they are normally very touchy-feely!

I took a test at home, which was negative, and collected Mum at 2pm. My Dad came down to see me, and he seemed quite happy to wave us off. The sky overhead was looking a little ominous, and halfway to Weedon, we had torrential rain. However, the weather today was quite localised, and we emerged from the gloom into bright sunshine!

At Weedon, we parked and went straight to Darlington's. which had lots of free tables, thank goodness! I had worried about whether we'd need to reserve a table, but we could take our pick. Both of us ordered pots of tea, and Mum had a slice of gooey chocolate fudge cake while I went for chocolate orange. 

It was lovely to be back - the last time I'd visited was with Sophie last December and we'd sat outside before doing some Christmas shopping. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I'd been with Mum so it was great to be able to have a wander around the shops after we'd eaten.

One of the shops has lovely old, vintage items, mixed with new pictures and ornaments, and I found some beautiful glasses that I knew Sophie would love:


She has wanted gold-rimmed glasses for a while and these would be ideal for a liqueur or port. At £5 for the six, I just couldn't resist! We mooched about the rest of the shops, and Mum bought a card for one of the staff who was leaving. She managed to resist the jewellery in one of the shops, even though I urged her to treat herself!

We took a different way home, via Long Buckby, Guilsborough, Spratton and Brixworth, and before going back to the care home, we popped to my house to pick up the clothes that we'd washed and ironed for her.

Sophie arrived home at about 6pm in the evening and Mike got a lift home from Abbie, so we didn't have to go out anymore. Dinner was a simple cold meats and salad affair, but both children weren't interested in sharing the food with us. They were both stuffed!

No comments: