Thursday 20 May 2021

Feeling shattered!

I slept really badly last night, and I have no idea why. Keith went shopping very early, and at one point I did fall asleep on the sofa while watching the breakfast news!

We had another busy day ahead of us, as we were meeting Mum and Dad at the Weston Favell Centre to take them shopping. The care home had used their own transport to drive them there, so at 11.30am we stood and waited at the taxi rank where we had arranged to meet them. Both of us had taken lateral flow tests at home before we went, so we knew we were Covid free!

They were late arriving, and at one point I did think that there had been a miscommunication! However, after calling and establishing they were on their way, they arrived just before midday. Unfortunately, today has been dull and overcast with rain and wind expected, so it wasn't the most cheerful of places to visit! I dislike the Weston Favell Centre at the best of times so I wasn't feeling very happy!

I was extremely glad that Keith had come with me, and we took them to Costa first for a coffee and a piece of cake. It was a bit like old times and my Dad certainly perked up with his first proper coffee in over a year. In the good old days, they both loved to visit the centre and meet friends for a coffee so it was good to see them looking happy.

We did some shopping and Dad bought a pair of jeans and two sets of pyjamas. My Mum looked at the clothes as well, but she said she probably had enough. We still have some summer outfits at home, so we'll take them into her over the next few days. As a treat, we visited Burger King so they could have some lunch and they enjoyed that very much!

To make it easier, Keith and I took them back to the care home, even though it was a bit difficult getting my Dad into the back of the car and the wheelchair folded up. We sped back to Kettering, dropped them off and then went to get Mike from work. Just as we arrived it started to rain heavily and the wind got up as well, so it wasn't pleasant!

Back home I had a late lunch and then I fell asleep on the sofa for almost an hour! I woke up feeling stiff and cold so indulged in a hot bath! Bliss!

Keith and I made dinner this evening - a new recipe for us from the Hairy Dieters book, a chicken and ham "Tangle" pie. We sauteed onions, garlic, mushrooms and leeks, added white wine and stock, and then combined that with cooked chicken and smoked ham. With a generous addition of creme fraiche, we mixed it all up in a casserole dish and then scrunched up filo pastry for the topping.

Served with new potatoes, broccoli and baby sweetcorn it was delicious and a meal we'll definitely make again!

Not ours, a stock photo!

After dinner, we watched Dragons' Den and then I had an early night! I was shattered!

P.S. Pete has departed, which is good but I miss seeing his little face peering over the garage roof. Let's hope he arrived home safely!





No comments: