Thursday 13 May 2021

An afternoon out!

Keith went shopping a bit later this morning - the early starts taking Mike to work sometimes take a toll on him, and it doesn't help that this weekend our son is working both days, and starting at 6am again.

While Keith was shopping I pottered about and did some housework, which took up most of the morning. I had arranged to take my Mum out this afternoon so at 1pm I was at the care home, and taking a lateral flow test.

At 1.30pm we were on our way, and I'd decided to take a scenic route to Olney in Buckinghamshire and see if we could have a coffee there. I was hoping to take her to the cafe that Sophie and I went to a few weeks ago, but overhead the weather looked stormy, and big, dark clouds were gathering!

On the way, we chatted, and my Mum said how lovely it was to be out and about again and seeing our old haunts. Olney was busy as we drove into the small town, and then I discovered there was a market taking place in the car park! We tried to park on the main road but I soon gave that up as a bad idea, and we left. I suggested going to see where Sophie works and then having a takeaway coffee from Costa at Riverside. Not really what I'd had in mind, but there will always be another time!

After a tour around Brackmills, and seeing some of the places we used to visit regularly when we had the business, we called into Costa and had a coffee and a cake each. Some people took advantage of the dry weather and enjoyed a coffee at tables outside, but we drank ours in the car!

Before taking Mum back to the care home, we called into my house, as I'd sorted some of her clothes out, and I wanted to see which ones she needed, and which ones we could take to a charity shop. She was amazed at how many she had and couldn't remember buying a beautiful Planet wool/cashmere coat that I'd found in a suitcase. I'll get it cleaned and then she can have it for the winter.

Driving back home the clouds were even more ominous and a little later we had torrential rain and thunder! It had been threatening it all afternoon!

No comments: