Monday 17 May 2021

Fuming!

Today, restaurants, pubs, cafes, museums, cinemas and indoor play areas were able to open, in line with the government's "roadmap". The only snagging point at the moment is the Indian variant of Covid-19, which is causing problems in parts of the UK, namely Bolton and London. We also have cases here in Northamptonshire.

People can also travel to "green" countries, so there's been a lot of coverage of journalists hot-footing it to Portugal, in particular! We have no plans to go anywhere at the moment!

As it was Monday, we were busy at work. The first hour we had non-stop calls and it carried on like that for the rest of the shift. I did manage to put all of the crash courses onto the system (heaven knows how!) so that's one thing done!

At 4pm I drove home and spotted a neighbour, Graham, mowing the front green, which was supposed to have been left to grow. We are trying to do "No Mow May" and Lynn, who is our Parish Chairman, had agreed that the front green should be left uncut for the month so that the wildflowers could flourish and provide food for pollinators. He had only done the strip around the edge, but I do wonder what it is with men and lawnmowers?

I feel passionate about letting the grass grow, and it's only a month, after all, so imagine my anger when I rounded the corner and saw that Graham had taken it upon himself to mow our front verge as well! He walked past as I was getting out of the car, and I really wanted to let rip and have a go at him, but I knew I'd probably say something I'd regret so I just gritted my teeth. Graham told me he'd checked with Keith first, so I stormed into the house, and Keith looked a bit sheepish. He'd said to Graham it was OK to cut it as it "didn't have many flowers"!

Worse was to come when Keith and I put our vacuum cleaner back together... Last week Keith had been driving when a bottle of beer fell off the back seat of my Dad's car and smashed in the footwell. He had thought it was a good idea to hoover up the glass and beer (I have no idea why), and on Sunday the machine wouldn't work properly. We had taken it apart and cleaned and dried it thoroughly, but this afternoon it still refused to work. We had no option but to order another, at a cost of £200.

Keith was, therefore, well and truly in the doghouse with me today! Lynn messaged me later in the evening, offering me six eggs from her own hens and we had a chat about the grass. She said it's definitely a man thing when it comes to mowing the grass, and I had to agree!

Pete the pigeon is still with us and seems more than happy to either perch on the garage or house roof, occasionally coming down to eat from a bowl we've placed out for him. I tried to catch a glimpse of the numbers on his leg ring this evening and managed to see the first few, so I emailed the Royal Pigeon Racing Association, but I don't hold out much hope of them replying!


No comments: