Saturday 3 October 2020

Rain, rain, rain...

 Well, the weather has certainly been bad today with constant rain and heavy grey skies. Mike was working this weekend and at 9am I went to get him while Keith grappled with the television in our room. It's one of Mum and Dad's and has Netflix and Amazon Prime installed so I thought it would be good to have in our room. Just as we were trying to get the old one off the wall, Mike called!

He was wet and dirty again but in a better mood than yesterday, thank goodness! I had barely ten minutes at home before it was time to take Sophie to the station so she could catch a train to London to see Zain, her boyfriend.

On the way home I called into the garage at Moulton and bought some pastries and the newspaper. I was determined to go home, have a coffee and some breakfast! When I arrived, Abbie's car was parked outside and she and her mum were sitting in the living room, which was a bit of a surprise. Mike explained that they were all going to see Abbie's grandfather, something I wasn't aware of. That meant that Mike couldn't help Keith with sorting the conservatory out... oh well!

Keith and I grappled with the TV some more, and then I insisted on having some breakfast. It was while we were eating that we remembered we had to prepare the coq au vin for dinner tonight! We both did the preparations and while I washed up and cleared away everything, Keith had a shower. We needed to go to Tesco to get an antenna lead for the TV, which was a nuisance, but we did need some things in there anyway.

The rain hadn't let up at all, and the roads were flooded in places. Tesco was busy and we found what we needed quickly. I then treated Sophie to a bottle of Vodka and bought myself some Brandy. We splashed our way home and sorted out the TV so at least Keith can watch Sky in the bedroom if he is banished there by us girls sometimes!

The rest of the day was spent doing housework and trying to clear some space in the conservatory. Keith went to see Sileby play (very surprising the game was on, considering the weather) and Mike and Abbie returned. 

By 4.30pm I'd had enough of housework and I settled down in front of the television to watch a couple of very weird programmes. I downloaded a new series called Brave New World but quickly gave up with that after about ten minutes! I then turned on a programme on Sky Arts that had been showing since 9.30am this morning and was surreal! The bit I watched was set out at sea with two masts poking out of the water with a figure of a man on top of one of them... was he real or a sculpture? With the spooky music and the grey and miserable weather outside, I decided it wasn't for me at all and went and had a bath!

Sophie called to say she was having trouble with the train journey home - due to the awful weather a lot of trains to Northampton and beyond had been cancelled... She said she was going to try and get the 6.45pm train which would arrive in Northampton at about 7.30pm, perfect as she could then have dinner with us.

However, she called back again to say that all the trains to Northampton and Birmingham had been cancelled, and could I pick her up from Milton Keynes at 7.15pm? I dashed out into the gloom and drove down the M1 to collect her but when I arrived she kept saying the train had been delayed because the driver could only travel at 50mph instead of the usual 125mph! She eventually got in at about 7.45pm so it was a mad dash home to eat at 8.30pm! Phew! I certainly needed a drink when I got in!


No comments: