Saturday 10 October 2020

A quiet day...

Annoyingly, I was awake at 6am this morning, so it was downstairs for a coffee and a relaxing start to the weekend.

Sophie woke up and we cooked breakfast - veggie sausages, toast, and scrambled eggs for Keith and me. My daughter then disappeared to shower and get ready for her weekend away. We took her to the station and called to get a paper on the way home. I had no plans to do anything today - in fact, I fancied a bit of a rest from sorting boxes, so we pootled about for the rest of the day and did very little!

The weather has been a real mixed bag - frequent showers but spells of sun and blue skies. It feels much cooler than of late. I went and had a lovely hot bath at about 5pm and then managed to get Netflix working on the television in our bedroom. I started watching The Fall starring Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan, and over the hour it was on, became hooked! Keith also had a bath and then started watching it with me!

We went to the pub in Walgrave for a meal this evening and walked in find the place pleasantly busy. We picked a table near the bar, and Ian brought over free drinks for us - to wish Keith a belated happy birthday, and to apologise for the slow service we'd experienced last time.

We sat and studied the menu, and as I was hungry, I chose the mushrooms on ciabatta that I'd enjoyed last time, and a burger. Keith opted for whitebait and the monster cod. I had to go for something beefy because I was drinking a good Malbec!

The service was much better this evening (Ian was in charge), and the food as good as it always is. To my delight, one of the girls I used to look after when I worked at the after-school club came in with her family - Izzy and her brother Joseph. We said hello and when they got up to leave I asked how she was doing at secondary school. She looked so grown up, bless her, and Joseph is now in Year 6!

Keith and I braved a dessert, which on reflection, was probably a mistake as the portions were huge! I had bread and butter pudding while Keith enjoyed a treacle tart, both served with custard. We were so naughty!

At just after 9pm we waddled out into pouring rain... then it was home to collapse on the sofa and watch Licence to Kill starring Timothy Dalton. I had never seen the film before, which is unusual as I was (and probably still am) a fan of the actor. I have to say the hour we watched wasn't brilliant, though! No wonder he only did two Bond films!



No comments: