Friday 23 October 2020

Catching up with old friends!

Things were back to normal this morning when Sophie woke me up early and then went to the gym. I pootled about until it was time to go, and took my Dad's car to work. Keith had an appointment at the respiratory clinic at the hospital at 2.30pm today, so I was charged with collecting Mike from work, and then taking him into Northampton so he could spend the weekend with Abbie.

I was worried about parking this morning because last week the car park was full. Today is the 50+ session, which is very popular with our members, but luckily there were a few spaces left. Work passed pleasantly enough, although it was very noisy at times, and I have to say that some of my colleagues have very loud voices especially when they laugh!

At 2pm I sped off to get Mike and he came out at just after 2.30pm so he didn't have to wait about. It seemed ages since I'd been to collect him from work! He was very tired on the way home, and after having a quick shower and changing his clothes, he was ready to go into Northampton.

We had a lovely chat in the car on the way in, chiefly about the noises people make when eating, which was hilarious! We chatted about our senses and how much we'd miss them if something happened to them.

After dropping Mike at Abbie's I headed home and parked Dad's car back on Paul's driveway. He was in the garage so we had a chat, and then it was time to see how Keith had got on at the hospital. He said the clinic was deserted and the staff had nothing to do. He had to blow into a tube and he'll get the results via his GP.

I gave Keith a lift to the pub tonight and returned home to have a lovely soak in the bath. This evening I was going out for a meal with Lynda, Fiona and Andrea to The Telegraph pub in Moulton, a night out we'd arranged back in August. Sophie very kindly drove me there and then went to get Keith on her way home, so I could enjoy a glass of wine or two!

The girls were already seated at the same table we'd occupied a few years ago at Christmas. We ordered drinks - G&Ts for Andrea and Fiona, Chardonnay for me and tonic water for poor Lynda who was driving. To eat, we all chose the Panko breaded squid with lemon mayonnaise to start, followed by salmon for the girls, and a chicken and halloumi stack for me served with skin-on fries and Asian slaw.



The food was delicious, and we all made room for puds - sticky toffee pudding, Eton mess sundae and a Belgian chocolate cheesecake for me. The bill came to a hefty £160 but then we did have pre-dinner drinks and two bottles of wine with the meal. It was lovely to have a chat and catch up with news, especially as there have been a lot of changes since we last met up with Andrea in January. She has split from her husband and has a new partner, so that was a shock!

I had already asked Sophie to come for me at 10pm and the pub was anxious for us to leave before then. Sophie and Keith arrived, and Fiona's daughter came to take Fiona and Andrea home. I had said to Sophie that we could maybe sit up until later with a drink but she was shattered and going to bed seemed a very good idea!

No comments: